Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Asus Memo pad HD7 - anyone got one?
cjwood23

posted on 20/9/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Asus Memo pad HD7 - anyone got one?

This has been mentioned a few times as an alternative to the Nexus 7 so thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience of them.

Had a look at these in Currys earlier - seems pretty good for the price.
Seems less clunky than some of the alternatives and with the MicroSD slot more storage (up to 32gb) is available.

OK so you're not going to get the latest vanilla version of Android but do you really need to keep updating to the latest version? (My Galaxy S2 is still on Gingebread....)

The screen quality looks pretty impressive too.

I will primarily use a tablet for watching movies and web surfing - so think this might be ideal.

Reviews seem quite favourable too:
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/asus-memo-pad-hd-7-review-50011862/
http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/hardware/asus-memo-pad-hd7-review/

Anyone have one and care to comment?

Chris

ashg

posted on 20/9/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
we have got a nexus 7 and the other half never puts the thing down

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

scudderfish

posted on 20/9/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
My Nexus 7 is ace. Having a microSD slot would make it more ace. I was going to call it acer, but that's another tablet manufacturer

At £130, that looks like a very good buy.

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
After careful evaluation I bought a Nexus 7 last week a 16GB 2012 version from Argos for £165 from Argos and I am pretty delighted with it. I looked at the more recent Nexus models and Asus tablets and the Kindle Fires (we already have a Fire HD in the family) but I think I made a good choice.

For anybody looking for a cheaper tablet Morgan computers have loads of warranted ex-demo,ex-display or re-work returns tablets including Nexus 7's http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/563/Tablets-Touchscreens/

Also this week Amazon have reduced the basic Kindle Fire to £99 and have refurbished Fire HD's 16mb with 1 year warranty for £134 or 32GB for £174

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
My Nexus 7 is ace. Having a microSD slot would make it more ace. I was going to call it acer, but that's another tablet manufacturer

If you really want to use an SD card with a Nexus 7, get a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable from eBay for a Pound or two and load the free app "Nexus Media Importer" - together these will give you almost full SD card functionality. You will need a USB SD card reader to plug into the OTG cable though!

You can also use these with an external USB hard drive, as long as you power the drive independently - the Nexus won't be able to provide the 5v supply current they require.

As a bonus, the OTG cable will allow you to plug in a keyboard and/or mouse if you don't want to use the on-screen ones.

[Edited on 20/9/13 by David Jenkins]

cjwood23

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

If you really want to use an SD card with a Nexus 7, get a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable from eBay for a Pound or two and load the free app "Nexus Media Importer" - together these will give you almost full SD card functionality. You will need a USB SD card reader to plug into the OTG cable though!

You can also use these with an external USB hard drive, as long as you power the drive independently - the Nexus won't be able to provide the 5v supply current they require.

As a bonus, the OTG cable will allow you to plug in a keyboard and/or mouse if you don't want to use the on-screen ones.

That's not helpful..... lol

Looks like I'm gonna save the extra £70 and get a new 16 gb N7!

Chris

Scuzzle

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some of these cheap Chinese tablets wipe the floor with what you can buy from the mainstream tablet manufacturers. You can get all the features you want as well as good memory capacity with expandable memory and the very latest Android at a price you can live with. The Google Nexus is one of the cheaper ones and is a good buy but some of the Chinese tablets use the exact same parts and are put together by the same factories as some of the more expensive mainstream makes.

I use one of these and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-S1-Android-Tablet-RK3066-performance/dp/B009JT0KOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379691327&sr=8-1&keywords=pipo+7+ tablet

Slimy38

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I did hear this morning that Tesco are bringing out their own budget tablet, might be worth a look?

Although when I heard they use 'Hudl' as the brand I did have to check it wasn't April 1st....

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
One important thing is to be properly useful any Android device needs to allowed by Google to access the Google Playstore

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

Good info

[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Good info

You're welcome!

As an example of what you can do with this setup, I often take the SD card out of my camera and upload the pictures into the Nexus as a backup while I'm on holiday. This also gives me a chance to have a proper look at the pictures.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.