Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know about Asbestos?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know about Asbestos?

Well i've finally got round to getting the garage roof checked and its not great news

Inside my double garage the interal roof has sheets of what looks like plasterboard nailed up. Its in resonable condition, but our survey when we moved in showed up that it might be asbestos of some type.

Had an asbesatos chap in today to have a look, who has taken a sample, but in his opinion he believes it to be AIB. This I understand is not good news.

The question really is what should I be looking at in terms of cost to have it removed? first quote came back at 3.5k + VAT!!!

To answer the expect question of 'can you leave it?' unfortunately not. We're doing some renovation above it, and its going to be disturbed in the process (insualtion, pipework etc).

Any experiences to share?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/8/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends what type of asbestos it is.

That will govern the price and if you can remove it or it needs to be licenced removal.

Licence removal is very expensive and you will have to drop your trousers for it.

You can obviously ring around and get other quotes once you know what it is.

Interesting info for you.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a4.pdf

[Edited on 10/8/16 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

hizzi

posted on 10/8/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
you can remove yourself as a one off job, you need to use all the ppe etc. check the rules local to you for disposal which will be the big problem.
just did my dads garage roof a month back local council have a dedicated place to take it to. sheets had to be removed whole as possible , double bagged in asbestos bags inner says asbestos outer is clear very thick plastic. council will give you a consignment notice to take to the tip. they dictated to me it had to arrive in open trailer or pickup.

aib is not so bad but read up on masks to use and damping down etc. if you cannot damp down then you are looking at hiring class H hoover and creating a plastic enclosure to stop particles but thats getting a bit serious.

the other option is the local dodgybuilder when you are out!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have added, the chap believes it to be 'blue' and 'white' asbestos which means nothing to me.

The boards look just like plasterboard if that helps.

MP3C

posted on 10/8/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
It’s very rare for it to contain blue asbestos in the sheets, it will most likely be white asbestos with maybe brown if you are unlucky. If you are really unlucky then it could contain blue asbestos.

Basically the grading for asbestos goes:
White
Brown
Blue

White being the least chance of causing cancer due to the fibre sizes and blue being the worst with a higher chance.

If the asbestos is not damaged and is in good condition then you can remove it yourself. Make sure you get the "spacesuits" you will need goggles, FFP3 mask the spacesuit is the white suit that covers your whole body. When you are removing, spray the asbestos with water to dampen in case you damage it when removing. This will reduce the fibres that are released. As said above, double bag it all up and when you believe you have removed everything, make sure you put all your gear in the bag as well; mask, suit and goggles. Do not reuse it.

If the asbestos is considered friable meaning its delaminating or perishing (basically crumbling) then you will need licenced removal company to do it for you.

For peice of mind, get somebody to do it. 90% of our asbestos work that we do is done by contractors as it removes our need for risk assessments and headaches + it removes our liabilities.

Edit: sorry forgot to mention wear golves aswel if attempting yourself and again dispose of after use. Use some high quality gloves that the fibres won't penetrate.

Matt

[Edited on 10/8/16 by MP3C]

[Edited on 10/8/16 by MP3C]

twybrow

posted on 10/8/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 60 foot by 20 foot 'garage', made nearly entirely from asbestos. It is the sort that is encapsulated in concrete as sheets,which is the safest type. I had someone quote to demolish the entire structure, and it came in at £6k. If it was sampled, and came back as one of the other types, it would mean tenting the entire building, which the guy thought would double the cost.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys.

Sadly this is going to totally gut my budget for renovating the house by the looks of it.

We'll definitely be using a third party, no way i'd attempt this myself. I cant even put up plasterboard without breaking it! In general, its in reasonable condition though, and would be a fairly easy job in terms of the practicalities.

Am I safe to be in there before its ripped out? (already have been A LOT)

twybrow

posted on 10/8/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Asbestos is fine, unless it is damaged, which can release fibres into the air. If it is sound, then it is inert. The issue comes when removing it, and not damaging it, especially as the fixings will be old and corroded.
Toprivetguns

posted on 10/8/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Most home pre 1980s homes have some type of asbestos in the celing, tiles or garage.

Does it really need to come out? Is it failing apart?

I always see it like a sleeping snake... Leave it alone you'll be fine, poke it and...

[Edited on 10/8/16 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Most home pre 1980s homes have some type of asbestos in the celing, tiles or garage.

I always see it like a sleeping snake... Leave it alone you'll be fine, poke it and...

There are a couple of small chunks missing but id say in general its in good condition, bar a few water marks (there is a bathroom above).

The aim is to turn the rooms above it into another bedroom and en suite. To do this I need to do some pipework and insulation in the garage ceiling. Canr really see how I could board over the top without disturbing it......

I'll take some pics and show you all what im talking about.

nick205

posted on 10/8/16 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Agreed - if you can leave it be then I'd opt for that approach.

Can you get above it easily to fit pipes etc?

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Agreed - if you can leave it be then I'd opt for that approach.

Can you get above it easily to fit pipes etc?

trouble is the drainage runs into a waste pipe in the garage, so I cant see how i could do the waste plumbing without upsetting the ceiling boards.

Its such a pain - if only it was Celotex!

Shooter63

posted on 10/8/16 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Until recently I worked for a company that was involved with asbestos removal, I've done the safety courses that a required to just look at the stuff, and that's bad enough. In my humble opinion I would pay the pro's to remove it,but get at least 3 quotes like you normally would etc. Some of the fines handed out to cowboy removal companies/main contractors ( possibly you in this instance) will make that 3.5k charge look like chicken feed, plus would you want your Mrs and kids living in a house that could contain large amounts of asbestos fibres. Asbestosis is a horrible way to die.

Shooter

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/8/16 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Until recently I worked for a company that was involved with asbestos removal, I've done the safety courses that a required to just look at the stuff, and that's bad enough. In my humble opinion I would pay the pro's to remove it,but get at least 3 quotes like you normally would etc. Some of the fines handed out to cowboy removal companies/main contractors ( possibly you in this instance) will make that 3.5k charge look like chicken feed, plus would you want your Mrs and kids living in a house that could contain large amounts of asbestos fibres. Asbestosis is a horrible way to die.

Shooter

You're absolutely right shooter - doesn't bare thinking about. More after a guideline really as I have zero knowledge on the subject.

No so much about how much, just what is roughly the right price. Thanks for your input.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.