Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off to Spa next week
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 19/8/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Off to Spa next week

.....can't wait

Me and NL Snr are driving over early Thursday morning (in the boring BMW sadly), and camping for the weekend. GA tickets, planning on sitting at Pouhon I think, but welcome to suggestions. Bus stop maybe?

Tell me your Spa experiences, tips, recommendations. Can't be a lot more excited than I am already!

MattD

posted on 19/8/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Its a long walk all the way round. The place will be absolutely full of Germans & Dutch.

I flew to Dusselfdorf the first time with a mate & hired a car, drove over to Spa with a Vectra on german plates - so the drunken mob thought we were german when we were looking for a camping spot in the dark.
It was packed in the camping all round the La Source, so we ended up at the top of the hill near to a group of guys in an old BMW 635 with a huge amp playing oompah music all night VERY loud.

So... get there early and bag your tent space. Dutch fans are the friendliest in the world in my experience, just offer them a beer or two.

Eau Rouge is steeper than it looks, simply awesome.
The straight up to Les Coombes on the outside you can look down on the cars, with the helis at eye level over the top.
Rivage looking towards Pouhon on the inside is very elevated but is a great view.
We spend most of the race at Pouhon looking through a slot in the advertising boards..... not bad at all.

Stavelot to Blanchimant is just fast, but the path is on the outside & in the trees so you cant see much IIRC.
Use the centre track to get around, though it takes you away from the circuit/view.
The old bus stop is gone now, but its still a good place to watch too.

And remember its a long track, so less laps - it feels like a short race cos the cars don't go past so often.

I've been to the F1 three times now... and had a trackday there in an E-type - its a proper circuit - Enjoy !

Fandango

posted on 19/8/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
It is like Monza or Silverstone, as in part of the history of F1.

The wife and I were there in 2008, in a grandstand at the top of the hill at Eau Rouge.

Clouds were building as the race progressed, until it tipped it down a few laps from the end.

Raikonnen was a street ahead, but could not keep it on the black stuff as the rain fell.

Hamilton drank the champagne, only to be later demoted, and the win awarded to Massa.

A memorable day, I hope to return sometime with the Locost.

[Edited on 19/8/16 by Fandango]

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.