Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK1 TT 3.2 V6 Quattro - good idea?
cjwood23

posted on 21/3/17 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
MK1 TT 3.2 V6 Quattro - good idea?

Hopefully moving to a new place with a bigger/usable garage in the near future.
I've had the OK from the O/H to get a 'toy'.

Now ideally I'd like a 7, but that's not going to happen for a couple of reasons.

Said 'toy' will need a roof, 4 seats and a semi-decent boot space and be no more than £5k.

So I thought the MK 1 TT V6 fitted the bill quite nicely - don't mind if it's manual or DSG.

Something like this one: 2003 Audi TT Mk1 V6 DSG

Would this be a bad idea?

Anyone on here got one or had one?

Any words of wisdom - other than don't do it!

Chris

theduck

posted on 21/3/17 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd get the 225 instead as it has some nice tuning options.
Slimy38

posted on 21/3/17 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I do like the VAG V-engines, I had the V5 myself and really wanted one of the V6's. The only thing to watch out for is coil packs, you have to buy genuine and keep several in your boot. (I remember prioritising coil packs over the spare tyre, as the coil pack failing would have been more likely).

The early TT shape is not really my style, but it's based on a Golf so very easy to sort things out. (Edit: I just noticed that is the Quattro version, not sure if that is still Golf under the skin?)

The only thing I would stay away from is the early DSG's. I don't know when they went from 'frigging awful' through 'meh' and then on to 'actually, this isn't too bad now'. I have a feeling 2003 is still quite early on.

Oh, I've just noticed you want four seats. The TT doesn't have four seats, it has two seats and a very low parcel shelf. My friend is a smidge over 5 feet, and when she was driving hers she could just about get her shopping in the back. You can see it in one of the pictures, the top of the rear seats is where the hatchback glass is, and the distance from the rear seats to the front seats is measured in inches rather than feet.

[Edited on 21/3/17 by Slimy38]

cjwood23

posted on 21/3/17 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I say 4 seats - as long as the kids fit they should be OK. Got average height skinny 6 & 10 y/o.

Boot space should be big enough for the wife's wheelchair once the wheels are off and its all folded down.

Interesting about the 225 tuning options. I quite like the idea (sound...) of the V6.

Will check out the DSG too as I've only driven a Scirroco DSG. My cousin works for VAG so hoping parts/advice won't be an issue.

Chris

Slimy38

posted on 21/3/17 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjwood23
Well, I say 4 seats - as long as the kids fit they should be OK. Got average height skinny 6 & 10 y/o.

Check one out in the flesh, you'll have to stack your kids one on top of the other to be able to fit!

(And I heartily agree with the sound of the V6... the 225 might be the quicker option after tuning, but it's still a four pot )

Your cousin should know which years DSG are the better bet. I'm not necessarily talking faults that can be fixed, as a semi auto they were quite awful to drive even when they worked.

Here's a random post I found on the interweb;

quote:

I have worked for an Audi centre for just over two years now. Its hard to talk about reliability because I only ever see cars when they are broken. But I'd say up to 60,000 miles DSG is pretty bullet proof and beyond that your looking for trouble. We do on average 1 DSG mechatronics unit every 2 or 3 months or so. SO yes that is the bit that goes wrong, and Its not cheep, £2-3k i think. Complete box it £5K. Compaired to the multi-tronic for example where we have a fault with one, on average once or twice a week and manuals where we might have a fault once or twice a year, usually worn sycro. (not counting clutches, we do hundreds) SO to sum up, gearbox's. I would always go for the manual, consider DSG if milage going to be low, and couldnt recomend Muti to anyone. Normal tip-tronic auto is bullet proof too.

cjwood23

posted on 21/3/17 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info.
Will try and see if I can get the kids in the back.
Will also have a look at manual boxes too - probably more fun than the DSG too!

Chris

tegwin

posted on 21/3/17 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The V6 one was quite lardy...

I had a top spec 225 quatro of a while which had been remapped to some crazy number..... Fast in a straight line but rubbish in corners as the computer was too "polite"... I understand that can easily be fixed by replacing the haldex computer to enable you to kick the back end out and actually use the power.....

I would get another 225 and fiddle with it any day! The interior was just such a nice place to be sat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ettore bugatti

posted on 21/3/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Megane R26, there are a hoot to drive!

Kids will fit for the next couple of years.

Maybe it is not that special looking compared to a TT, but as a toy. It is closer to a seven than any TT.

rayward

posted on 21/3/17 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
things to check on the v6 are the timing chains, the stretch can be checked using vag com software , and you are looking at a minimum £1300 bill to replace , also the DSG gearbox / mechatronic unit can be trouble after around 60k miles and are very expensive to repair / replace

hth
Ray

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 21/3/17 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
A brave man takes on a v6 DSG good luck lovely when there working correctly but you need deep pockets when they go wrong if your kids are older than 5 there struggle in the back .
cjwood23

posted on 21/3/17 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Get a Megane R26, there are a hoot to drive!

Kids will fit for the next couple of years.

Maybe it is not that special looking compared to a TT, but as a toy. It is closer to a seven than any TT.

Oooh - good call, hadn't looked at those. Was a passenger in one round the 'ring a few years back - seem to remember it went like stink and handled well.

Chris

JC

posted on 22/3/17 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a BMW 125i Coupe - fab 3 litre straight 6 and usable back seats - I love it!
A mate has just bought a 130i hatchback for 5 grand and prefers it to his old Golf R....he is emigrating in june/july so will be selling it....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/3/17 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
TTs aren't my type of thing (perhaps a little too "hairdresser" for me). The suggestion of a BMW 1 series sits better though as would a Golf TBH. Got to be more practical than the TT in the back seat area.

cjwood23

posted on 22/3/17 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps.
A few good pints raised - will be steering clear of the DSG and seeking out a manual.
Will also look into the Golf GTI and BMW.

A mate also suggested the Audi S3 - am I right in thinking it's pretty much the same as the TT 225 Quattro underneath?

Chris

tegwin

posted on 22/3/17 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The 3S is almost identical to the TT 225 platform but is heavier... I borrowed one for a week (2003 model) and although it was acceptably quick it was about as exciting as sitting in a dark room with your fingers in your ears...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.