Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 20/8/17 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre overhang of wheel arch

Advice needed from people that have passed the IVA

What is the max the tyre can be seen over the wheel archs.

The car is fine on all but the back passenger side wheel arch. Crap body mould.

The car is sat on 145/80/12 tyres so there is no going any smaller.

they look lost as it is.

[img]http:// Back wing 1
Back wing 1
[/img]

Back wing 2
Back wing 2

Back wing 3
Back wing 3

Back wing 4
Back wing 4

Try again

[Edited on 20/8/17 by jester]

pekwah1

posted on 20/8/17 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I just failed my Iva two days ago.
One of the failures was wheel arch cover.

According to my tester, he stated that NONE of the wheel or tyre can be visible or uncovered alongs its width.

I'm afraid sir that assuming that is correct and your tester picks up on it, that will be a fail.

I already had another set of wheels which are narrower and better offset so I'll be using those on the retest.

gremlin1234

posted on 20/8/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
my interpretation of the test manual,
the front 30degrees and the rear 50degrees of each wheel have to be covered by the wheel guards.
the rear must then come down to near (min 150mm above) the wheel centre hight. however, this part of the guard (after 50degrees) is not required to cover the entire tyre width.

IVA s37 Wheel Guards
quote:

1. The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards

2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the front (Figure 1)

3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the rear (Figure 1)

4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout the required dimensions (see Note 2 and Figure 1)

5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre. (see Note1 and Figure 1)

quote:

Note 1: The rear part of the mudguard after the required 50° to where it terminates does not have to cover the full breadth of the tyre

Note 2: When determining the wheel guard coverage you must view the tyre from the vertical, horizontal and longitudinal planes

David Jenkins

posted on 20/8/17 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
My interpretation was "if you look straight down and can see the black of the tyre, it will fail"

But that's just my view...

pekwah1

posted on 20/8/17 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, agree with mr Jenkins, of course as stated in the manual it actually only applies the the required angles that they stipulate
ttalps2000

posted on 21/8/17 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I failed on the same thing! The tester advised to screw some flaps of rubber (mud flaps) on the inside of the arch lip to get through the test!!
jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/8/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
I just failed my Iva two days ago.
One of the failures was wheel arch cover.

According to my tester, he stated that NONE of the wheel or tyre can be visible or uncovered alongs its width.

I'm afraid sir that assuming that is correct and your tester picks up on it, that will be a fail.

I already had another set of wheels which are narrower and better offset so I'll be using those on the retest.

Thanks for the reply It must have been a bit gutting for them to the the fail your tyres When you see so many 4x4 driving around with way over size tyres
and no mods to the arches at all. It does not make sense you would think they must fail the Mot with them on

Good Luck on the retest

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/8/17 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
my interpretation of the test manual,
the front 30degrees and the rear 50degrees of each wheel have to be covered by the wheel guards.
the rear must then come down to near (min 150mm above) the wheel centre hight. however, this part of the guard (after 50degrees) is not required to cover the entire tyre width.

IVA s37 Wheel Guards
quote:

1. The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards

2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the front (Figure 1)

3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the rear (Figure 1)

4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout the required dimensions (see Note 2 and Figure 1)

5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre. (see Note1 and Figure 1)

quote:

Note 1: The rear part of the mudguard after the required 50° to where it terminates does not have to cover the full breadth of the tyre

Note 2: When determining the wheel guard coverage you must view the tyre from the vertical, horizontal and longitudinal planes

Thanks for the info well have a look at my

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/8/17 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I failed on the same thing! The tester advised to screw some flaps of rubber (mud flaps) on the inside of the arch lip to get through the test!!

That might be the way I have to go then. Or spend a lot of money for some one to reshape the wheel arch/respray it

[Edited on 21/8/17 by jester]

ttalps2000

posted on 22/8/17 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
nah, just do the cut up mud flaps. They must have a radiused edge too. Get ya cert and then remove them! Mine was about 10 degress over on the gauge they used!

I did suggest using different wheels and he said no as I would put the old ones back on again lol!

Will vary from test centre to test centre as I have been finding out at my large expense!

pekwah1

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Interestingly, i am changing my wheels to pass the test, although these will become my permanent wheels.
The tester was absolutely fine with this although did point out he'll need to re run the speed test

ttalps2000

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
the testers vary so much. I am now having to change my engine because the tester wont accept my proof of age, yet other stations have accepted the same documentation for years! DVSA didn't really have a lot to say other than they shouldn't be! Give up lol!
pekwah1

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
what was your proof of age?

I used the stamped number on my zetec which i showed my tester, and then just had a naff printout from the burton website that i cross referenced the code with, and he was perfectly happy with this.

it is a shame there's so much "interpretation" through the process and not consistent between centres

ttalps2000

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I had a letter from Toyota, but as it didn't state my engine number specifically, and just the year range that the engine was fitted they would not accept it.

Toyota wont even talk to me now on getting further proof etc, so going Zetec route instead!

pekwah1

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing it wouldn't pass the more stringent emissions test then?
Would it be worth trying first to see?

ttalps2000

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
its a 1987 engine on carbs, so have no chance!
coyoteboy

posted on 22/8/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jester
When you see so many 4x4 driving around with way over size tyres
and no mods to the arches at all. It does not make sense you would think they must fail the Mot with them on

Good Luck on the retest

No, you don't fail MOT with them on, unless you have a nasty tester

The construction and use laws state:

Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.

[Edited on 22/8/17 by coyoteboy]

alfas

posted on 26/8/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
this would be even a MOT failure over here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.