Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big steering wheel
David Jenkins

posted on 29/10/17 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Big steering wheel

Here's an odd request for this forum... I am considering whether to get a larger steering wheel as I'm finding it a bit of a wrist-ache turning my car at low speeds. My steering geometry was set up to give good self-centering when it was new, the steering rack is 'mid-speed', i.e. not factory nor is it 2.4:1 (I think it's around 2.6 or 2.7). Now the steering bits have run-in everything turns very sweetly, but the extra castor originally built in makes steering a bit of a PITA when parking. I don't do racing, so super-agile steering is not really a requirement - I just drive on the roads, for fun.

Rather than correct the geometry or fit a new steering rack, I'm considering adding more leverage with a bigger steering wheel. The trouble is, most wheel suppliers say "no returns once you fit it to the car". Fair enough, I suppose.

So, does anyone have a biggish steering wheel that fits to a 104mm PCD that they can lend me to try out? If it's in good nick I'll cheerfully buy it off you if it works out OK.

steve m

posted on 29/10/17 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
David

I can confirm that a larger steering wheel will help with the problems you have, as I had a similar problem earlier this year driving my 7

I did start a thread about it a while ago, as I was unable to drive the 7, and since uping the size of wheel by 1" I have done about 1500 miles, and pretty well pain free,

However, I also found that by strapping my right shoulder up a bit, also helped, it also kept it warmer,, as this appeared to be the problem earlier in the year, Ie I got the cold shoulder, hahaha

A brief cut from the thread I started, below

"I have a serious right shoulder problem, from breaking my arm last year, that may result in a replacement shoulder, and until I know more, I may not be able to use the locost much, as currently and driving of more than 30 mins, means im in agony for the following week

I had changed the old 13" steering wheel to a 14" and that had helped, and over the next few days, will experiment with bring the wheel closer to me, to avoid the straight arm out driving position, but apart from that, im stumped ! "

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/10/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
What size are you thinking of?

I have some wheels here, I assume you are talking about he old mountny type boss fixings? None are perfect by a stretch, but you are welcome to try them out. Probably have 13 and 14"
Depending on timescales,I am off to Clacton are on Sat 18th and staying overnight ready for a Sunday morning navigational rally.....No idea where it finishes though!

Dingz

posted on 29/10/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 13" one, not the sort of thing I can usually say but it looks more like 102mm pcd fixing.
What size have you currently got?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

jps

posted on 29/10/17 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is an original Sierra wheel any use to you to try? I have one and am just over the Essex/Suffolk border.
David Jenkins

posted on 29/10/17 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

It's not my shoulders that give me problems, it's my wrists. After a long drive they can ache quite a bit.

My current wheel is a 12" Mountney - I guessed at 104mm, but it's probably 102mm (a.k.a. 4 inches in old money). I reckon going to 14" or even 15" will give me a fair bit more leverage, without ending up in my lap (I have loads of room at the moment).

I can't fit a Sierra wheel, as I have a fairly deep boss on top of the Sierra steering column.

Trollyjack

posted on 29/10/17 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a steering wheel that would suit you. can get a photo tomorrow with dimensions if you are interested.
I went smaller for racing.

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.