Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake legality
luke2152

posted on 3/12/17 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
handbrake legality

So after the IVA I replaced the standard handbrake with a hydraulic handbrake and I love it! But 3 years later my first MOT is approaching. I know the hydraulic handbrake alone will not pass MOT. I originally intended to make a rally style setup where the hydraulic lever also pulls the cables but from what I've seen they only move the cables enough to tick the box for an MOT (the cable moves and the back wheels lock up but who really knows if its the cable of the hydraulics doing the work). Or else my preference is to mount a normal hand brake somewhere out of the way. Only place I can think of that it will fit is to mount it on the back panel behind the seats but I wouldn't be able to reach that from the driver seat (which presumably you should be able to do for an emergency brake). I was thinking do this and have an emergency cord attached to the handbrake lever and velcro'd to the tunnel within reach so that I can:
*Tick the box for the mechanically actuated handbrake completely independent of the hydraulic system
*Actually have a workable (although not great) emergency brake to use in the event of a hydraulic failure.

DW100

posted on 3/12/17 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a link to the MOT test manual

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4i00000001.htm

Read the section on Parking brake, Method of test and Reasons for rejection.

As an MOT tester I wouldn't be happy with a handbrake located behind the seat and operated by a piece of string. How will you release it? And how will you prevent it accidentally being released?

coyoteboy

posted on 3/12/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's an emergency brake - for use in an emergency....

Smoking Frog

posted on 3/12/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
In the event of an emergency pull the cord. Love it!
luke2152

posted on 3/12/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is pulling a cord to operate a cable operated brake such a silly idea?
sam919

posted on 5/12/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you can pull a chord, you can make the chord wire and the pull mechanism a lever.....and the lever close to where it should be in the event of main brake system failure.

I had a car a few years back, the pad material separated from the pad carrier and came off, essentially leaving a 10mm gap to be taken up with rapid pumping of the brake.....i was approaching traffic lights with cars stopped and not particularly quickly....grabbing a string and arsing about, i'd have crashed. I used to think most emergency, safety things on a car were extra weight/ hassle to fix/ fit etc etc, my opinions have changed.

Most fire extinguishers are never used, but i'd like one in a fire!

coyoteboy

posted on 5/12/17 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sam919
If you can pull a chord, you can make the chord wire and the pull mechanism a lever.....and the lever close to where it should be in the event of main brake system failure.

I had a car a few years back, the pad material separated from the pad carrier and came off, essentially leaving a 10mm gap to be taken up with rapid pumping of the brake.....i was approaching traffic lights with cars stopped and not particularly quickly....grabbing a string and arsing about, i'd have crashed. I used to think most emergency, safety things on a car were extra weight/ hassle to fix/ fit etc etc, my opinions have changed.

Most fire extinguishers are never used, but i'd like one in a fire!

This. Those of us who've suffered brake failure and needed the e-brake to slow the car, rather than just park, know the value of having it easy to access and, critically, modulate.

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/17 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
More to the point, at the moment is the the car is legal to be on the road?
This sort of stuff worries me. If an accident is caused by having no emergency brake, you will be crucified. And deserve it.
Not only that, if it is a bad one, it could result in rule changes, which could affect many cars. Look at the case with the landrover a few years ago.

steve m

posted on 6/12/17 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I had to drive my Lotus elan home from college once, with just using the handbrake, as the servo had seized
not a nice experience !

I also can not see any advantage of a hydro handbrake for a road car, can some one enlighten me

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/17 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

pulling the handbrake in a Landy and other 4x4's at speed is a sure way to end up in an emergency, their transmission brakes and fiercely powerful.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 6/12/17 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you pull the handbrake in a Landy you'd just snap your halfshafts or props and keep hurtling along in your 2.5ton truck!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 6/12/17 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
II also can not see any advantage of a hydro handbrake for a road car, can some one enlighten me

steve

I have never used one but I believe they make it easier to lock the rear wheels for handbrake turns, as you don't need to worry about the ratchet and I assume they are sprung to to release as soon as you let go of the stick?

Of course you may have a view on whether that's a function you need on a 'road car' or not! Although they seem fairly popular in rally cars, which are often MOT'd because they're being driven on the road between stages...

loggyboy

posted on 6/12/17 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Although they seem fairly popular in rally cars, which are often MOT'd because they're being driven on the road between stages...

For most Rally drivers, if they arent testers themselves, they'll have a friendly garage, usually that sponsors them!!

Mistral Motorsport

ReMan

posted on 7/12/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you add the "normal" handbrake lever on the passenger side of the tunnel?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/12/17 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
how about a small ratchet winch? yeah sounds stupid but really all your needing is something that pulls on a cable and locks in place, like a small winch. You could mount it behind the dash, a small handle to turn and a way of releasing the locking paw. I don't think there is anything in the MOT rules that says the handbrake has to be a lever (some cars use a pedal). Even a small winch would pull a tremendous amount compared to a normal handbrake. You can buy custom length pull cables on the web and fit the winch anywhere.
coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

pulling the handbrake in a Landy and other 4x4's at speed is a sure way to end up in an emergency, their transmission brakes and fiercely powerful.

Done it!

the only purpose I see for a hydro handbrake is hooliganism and neat fitting (which is fine!) but I couldn't be bothered trying to bodge a solution round it. I'd really rather run a neater caliper and a second handbrake caliper (and that's what I'll be doing). Each to their own though!

[Edited on 11/12/17 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.