Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welded lower steering shaft/column
harmchar

posted on 19/5/18 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Welded lower steering shaft/column

Anyone passed IVA with the lower part of steering column extension with welded Ford triangle bits to heavy duty pipe.
I bought a part finished Locost/Haynes roadster and the previous guy welded the ends on. Remember reading that if you weld the ends on they should be pinned as well. Don't really want to buy expensive parts from CBS or the likes.
Thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge shared.
Charlie

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/18 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
do you ever see this in OEM parts... Pinning will just add a stress area a crack could form.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 19/5/18 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I welded mine with no pins, passed IVA and two years on there are no issues. No idea why someone would want to pin a properly welded joint.

tegwin

posted on 20/5/18 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, I wouldn’t pin.

Ideal would be to sleeve the shaft to connect the odd pieces so you can be sure of a strong joint.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

harmchar

posted on 20/5/18 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies. I was maybe wrong about reading about pinning the shaft. The guy that built the chassis was a welder offshore and has MPI certs for the chassis so it gives me some faith that the welding on the extension he fabricated is good and strong. Just about finished the upper bearing modification, so I will refit the home built extension, but put more of an angle than was before.
Might get round to posting pics soon so I can get some feedback/pointers.
Cheers

mikeb

posted on 21/5/18 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine passed with like you describe, I welded it and was confident of good penetration. Didn't come up at IVA but I remember a few years ago people talking about pinning it as well. Mine was ll nicely painted and looked professional so I don't think they questioned it.
harmchar

posted on 26/5/18 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wEvuBypsO2v8ECAs2

I knew I had read somewhere about people using roll pins on steering extension. It was on this site few months back. Link above.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 26/5/18 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I cut both my sides with a slot. In the slot went some mild strip. The two tubes were cut at a 30 degree angle to maximise weld area. I then put a sleeve 4 times faster than the cut. The sleeve was also cut at an angle to maximise weld area.

If it breaks then a tank has driven over the front of the car and I've got bigger problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.