Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Emissions
Mike70

posted on 22/6/18 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Emissions

hi, getting really confused onthe IVA requirements for emissions, can anyone actually clarify.
My situation at present is a Tiger Cat E1 with 2001 2.0 Zetec blacktop with bike carbs.
If i go through the IVA manual i will require a Cat, for emission testing, as they are bike carbs i have been informed i have no chance in passing emissions, so i need to go back to injection and lambda sensors.

also i have been told by someone that if i go Q plate the emissions dont come into it and im all good, but im pretty sure its engine age related whether its Q plate or age related???

i hope someone can clarify for me in tis confusing world of IVA, thanks

ttalps2000

posted on 22/6/18 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't matter if its carbs or injection, it will need to meet the standards for the cat test. Carbs will be more difficult but not impossible...

If you get a Q plate then you will not have an emissions test AFTER IVA. registration is once you have the certificate.

i had to do an engine change to get through emissions, to then be given a Q plate and never have an emissions test again. Painful!

Mike70

posted on 22/6/18 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks ttalps2000 think i may go the route of fitting a cat as that is required and then get an MOT station to check emissions to see where im at
ttalps2000

posted on 22/6/18 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Do check in the IVA manual for the revs at which it will be tested too, but you cant turn the carbs down enough to get it through im sure!
big_wasa

posted on 22/6/18 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Getting it through emissions on carbs may not be impossible but in my opinion it’s unlikley.

Has anyone managed it recently, bike carbs on a car engine ?

[Edited on 22/6/18 by big_wasa]

ttalps2000

posted on 22/6/18 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mark Viccars did laugh when i suggested putting a cat on the 4age with carbs and replied with dont bother!
snapper

posted on 23/6/18 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs will ruin a cat quite quickly unless running lean enough to meet lambda criteria which in turn can melt pistons.
I have heard that installing an air bleed system can achieve the desired emissions but that could be more difficult than fitting fuel injection and an ecu.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.