Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flywheel bolts - can they be reused and what does a crossflow use
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/7/18 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Flywheel bolts - can they be reused and what does a crossflow use

So as i went to fit a power cable to my starter i realised i'd removed it at some point. I then found the reason the clutch cable wasn't 'right' was due to a missing clutch. This was missing due to the flywheel being removed. Heck i've been at this so long i've no idea why or when i did this.

So if i can find the flywheel bolts can they be reused?

If they can't does anyone know what a crossflow uses? I know they're 3/8 and in theory the same as a mini (proper mini - 'a' Series engine) but i don't know the bolt length or UNF / UNC.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/7/18 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess UNF (the threads are very fine) and high-tensile.

If it was me, I'd be placing an order with Burtons, rather than second-guessing the correct grade and size of bolts. The consequences of a flywheel coming loose are horrific...

joneh

posted on 9/7/18 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mines in bits and happy to find the old bolts and measure, but as David says, order some new ones.

That fly wheel in RWD is about level with your left knee. I wouldn't fancy 6 kilos of spinning toothed wheel coming at you.

JMW

posted on 9/7/18 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
after a fellow competitors xflow flywheel let go I got mine (single) dowelled to be sure. Whatever the case use the proper bolts as others have said.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/7/18 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the last time I looked button only did ARP bolts which need a special socket.
JMW

posted on 9/7/18 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it just a 12 point socket that is required?
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/7/18 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
yep - and right now thats a special socket to me. I don't have one and without knowing the size it means i'll need to buy a whole set to fit the flywheel bolts. Figured if someone could say its 3/8 bolt 1" long i could just go and buy one of those.

Burton do a caphead screw which they market as flywheel bolt but i'm not happy putting a screw in place of what i feel should be a bolt.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/7/18 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
had a moment - i'm assuming a ring spanner will fit a 12 point bolt. If it does, i could then get the size of socket needed based on the ring spanner.

Am i being daft?

Bluemoon

posted on 10/7/18 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
had a moment - i'm assuming a ring spanner will fit a 12 point bolt. If it does, i could then get the size of socket needed based on the ring spanner.

Am i being daft?

Daft I think 😊 pop to Halfords with bolt and buy a single spare socket? Or amazon?

David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/18 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Am i being daft?

The flywheel bolts will have to be done up to a particular torque value - and that value is quite high, at 50 - 56 ft/lbs (68 -76 Nm). You won't achieve that accurately with a ring spanner (I know you only want the spanner to measure the size ) so a socket and decent-sized torque wrench is required.

Why don't you order the set of bolts, then use one to get the right-sized socket? It's worth doing it right...

[Edited on 10/7/18 by David Jenkins]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 10/7/18 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
one issue is i want it done now ............. i've only got a few days before the kids are off for summer (i'm parent in charge) and after summer i'm back to work.

Anyway, having had my brainwave i've ordered the bolts. I've read tonight that the spanner should be a 9/16 and i can get that socket from amazon prime. So assuming bolts turn up tomorrow, i'll order and fit on thursday

Tomorrow as well as removing the engine and getting ready to refit, i'll also be measuring up power cables for the battery / FIA switch / starter solonoid / starter cables & earths.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.