Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: schoolboy error :-(
craigdiver

posted on 15/10/18 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
schoolboy error :-(

My rear lights are only approx 330mm off the ground (need to be 350mm). Do you think ill be able to raise the back end by adjusting the coil overs?

[Edited on 15/10/18 by craigdiver]

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Slater

posted on 15/10/18 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, that is what they are for. Just use a C spanner on the adjuster nut.

Raising rear by 20mm should be achievable for IVA test.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

garyo

posted on 15/10/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Pump the tyres up :-)
craigdiver

posted on 15/10/18 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both, i’ve got c-spanners and will screw the spring collars up and will stick some more air in the tyres.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

JAG

posted on 15/10/18 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bodge it - fix it properly

It's set at 350 mm for a reason

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

40inches

posted on 15/10/18 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I did for my IVA. I don't see what 20mm difference will make in the real world?
jollygreengiant

posted on 15/10/18 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
AND, DON'T forget SVA/IVA is with a FULL fuel tank so make an allowance for that.

I did the same when I did mine, I spent most of the last day before test putting it right, by moving the lights. OUCH and then hiding the holes with reflective panels.

Before
Back end
Back end

After
After SVA
After SVA

[Edited on 15/10/18 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

craigdiver

posted on 15/10/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again all (except for the insulting comment that I have bodged my car). Never considered the extra weight of a full tank of fuel. Fortunately haven’t set rear shocks yet so should be able to raise it up as would be a major pain in the ass if I needed to move them - took me a couple of days to cut spacers to compound curves on arches.

For those who have been through SCA / IVA, is there anybody sitting in the car when the rear lights are measured?

[Edited on 15/10/18 by craigdiver]

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

SJ

posted on 15/10/18 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

For those who have been through SCA / IVA, is there anybody sitting in the car when the rear lights are measured?

Mine was a few years ago but there was nobody in the car for most of the test.

Jacking the rear up to get the lights to pass was nothing compared to what many people do to get some self centreing on the steering.

craigdiver

posted on 15/10/18 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Mine was a few years ago but there was nobody in the car for most of the test.

Jacking the rear up to get the lights to pass was nothing compared to what many people do to get some self centreing on the steering.

ha ha, have made mental note to check steering centres next time i’m driving round the yard

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

coyoteboy

posted on 16/10/18 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
That's what I did for my IVA. I don't see what 20mm difference will make in the real world?

Without knowing the reasoning behind the height limit, it's hard to judge. Could be just a rounded value that looked logical. Could be down to reflected light angles and beam shapes blinding other drivers.

myke pocock

posted on 17/10/18 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find he said dont bodge it, not that you HAD bodged it!!!
Irony

posted on 17/10/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Totally bodge it. Jack the car up on the suspension. I doubt the IVA man will will even get a tape measure out unless it 'looks' low. The 350mm is just a arbitrary rounded figure that stops stupid people slamming the brake lights 100mm off the floor. The IVA man will take one look at your jacked up suspension, then he will look at your lights. He'll know exactly what you done in 2 seconds. He might get a measure out to check the height, shrug and mark that item as a pass. In his mind he'll know that when you get home your lower the suspension but the lights will not be stupidly low so he'll be okay with that. In my experience the IVA inspectors have been brilliant.

I have spent multiple IVAs (my own and others) chatting copiously with the inspectors and the regulations are there to prevent stupid people doing stupid things. One IVA inspector to me before the radius regulations they have people trying to register cars with swords and battering rams on the front.

Irony

posted on 17/10/18 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Generally at a IVA there is one inspector and you. If you are that close to the limit when he looks at the lights simply get out. He can't look at the lights and sit in the car at the same time.

I was mega stressed at my IVA and I shouldn't have been. Yeah I failed on a broken speedo but the experience was fantastic and helpful. The inspectors were chilled, knowledgeable and helpful. My V8 coughed out a decibel killer during the noise check. Bloody thing went zinging off across the carpark, IVA man just laughed and said 'hopefully that won't happen when you get home'.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.