Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Miss Fire 3500rpm under load
coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/19 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Go back to basics on the ignition the way you have on the fuel, if you haven't already.

1) Check your static timing at idle. Check it doesn't wander. Use nodiz set up with values of 10 across the whole row to check it doesn't wander as you increase revs.
2) Check your crank sensor polarity is correct (it makes a difference to how the signal is interpreted).
3) Check your coil dwell time - insufficient dwell will cause misfire under load.
4) Check your spark plug gap - wrong gap will cause misfire under load.
5) Check for tracking at night in total darkness - tracking will be most noticeable under load but if it's visible at idle it needs fixing.
6) Buy/install a load sensor of some sort, using a 2D timing table is un-necessarily archaic, better to fix it now.
7) Running "too lean" with any of the above weaknesses can cause misfire.

SPYDER

posted on 7/12/19 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a "rising/falling edge" setting in the Nodiz?
mark.silcock

posted on 7/12/19 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
So I first want to get the Crank Sensor Housing question sorted as I need to know if I need to take the engine out.

Here is a video showing the timing marks through the CPS hole.

Can someone please compare, should they be in perfect alignment or is this how they are?

[Edited on 8/12/19 by mark.silcock]

mark.silcock

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Is there a "rising/falling edge" setting in the Nodiz?

Here are the screens from the software. Note these are taken not connected to the car.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

mark.silcock

posted on 9/12/19 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Go back to basics on the ignition the way you have on the fuel, if you haven't already.

Thanks, answers in bold

1) Check your static timing at idle. Check it doesn't wander. Use nodiz set up with values of 10 across the whole row to check it doesn't wander as you increase revs. - On the to do list timing marks are difficult to get to with out taking lots of bits off.
2) Check your crank sensor polarity is correct (it makes a difference to how the signal is interpreted). Checked and it was back to front, fixed and no different
3) Check your coil dwell time - insufficient dwell will cause misfire under load. Will look into it
4) Check your spark plug gap - wrong gap will cause misfire under load. New plugs with OK gap
5) Check for tracking at night in total darkness - tracking will be most noticeable under load but if it's visible at idle it needs fixing. Will look into it
6) Buy/install a load sensor of some sort, using a 2D timing table is un-necessarily archaic, better to fix it now. Maybe but wouldnt cause this issue?
7) Running "too lean" with any of the above weaknesses can cause misfire.Have run it lean have run it rich and its made no difference

mark.silcock

posted on 12/12/19 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
So I first want to get the Crank Sensor Housing question sorted as I need to know if I need to take the engine out.

Here is a video showing the timing marks through the CPS hole.

Can someone please compare, should they be in perfect alignment or is this how they are?

[Edited on 8/12/19 by mark.silcock]

Can anyone confirm this is right?

mark.silcock

posted on 20/12/19 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Had an oscilloscope on the crank sensor last night.

Signal looks fine and clean at idle and at high revs.

Image taken at approx 4000rpm which is higher than the miss-fire occurs on the road.

Description
Description

I think it's safe to put that to bed and move on?

mark.silcock

posted on 14/1/20 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Update time.

Took the car to AP Racing Engines in Blidworth today and Andrew managed to sort the car out.

So it was running very rich and the main issue which I wouldn't have believed if I didnt see it for myself was the air filters!

Andrew had the car to a point he was happy with pulling 131bhp at about 5500rpm with the filters off, then put them on and the engine produced 76hp and wouldn't rev past 3500rpm.

He was staggered and so was I.

The two runs, bright yellow line filter off, dark yellow line filters on!

Description
Description

These are the offending filters, which have had very little use and not dirty.

https://www.ramair-filters.co.uk/shop/automotive/carburetor-itbs-automotive/sock-filters-automotive/twin-inlet-carb-socks-and-velocity-stack-filt ers/

Would never in a million years had guessed they were the issue, but of course everytime I road tested the car it had the filters on, and when working on the carbs in the garage the filters were off so would rev ok stationary then wouldnt on the road. I assumed it was fuel starvation not air starvation!

Still can't believe it myself, but at least the car is pulling nicely now and apart from the rain in the face I had a lot more fun drive home!

IVA time!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.