Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Installing metalistic bushes
JekRankin

posted on 6/8/19 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Installing metalistic bushes

Any tips on fitting of removal/installation of metalistic bushes into wishbones?

I've seen a method suggested using a pair of sockets, on the dia of the wisbone housing and another the dia of the bush outer, with a length of studding through the middle, but it's really akward to perform.

I don’t have access to a hydraulic press. Is a sturdy vice and a suitably sized socket likely to be sufficient?

Jek

rusty nuts

posted on 6/8/19 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have successfully pressed in metallastic bushes using a vice with no problems BUT there again I have broken a vice using it as a press.
theconrodkid

posted on 6/8/19 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
you can use swarfega or a special lube, i got some with a BMW part number for installing bushes, worked a treat, have a punt round on fleabay

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/8/19 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Two sockets and studding is a good way to go. Fiddly, but effective.
It's really not terribly difficult to get them out, or in, given that you're (hopefully) dealing with uncorroded componentry that's fully accessible.
A press makes the thing a doddle, of course, you may well crack a vice though (especially if you use an extension handle). A vice loading with a tap from a metallic hammer on the bush housing will help.

'Not terribly difficult' is a relative term, it's relevance here is utilised as a comparison to leaf sprung Land Rovers where the metalastic bushes of interest are the ones through the chassis. 57 Years of corrosion.... burn out the rubber, remove the centre section, hacksaw down the length of the bush as far as you can, apply sockets, studding and pneumatic hammer....

steve m

posted on 6/8/19 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Two sockets and a vice works fine, but I have to ask why fit metalastic bushes ?

Poly bushes are the way to go, simple to work with easy to put in and take out, re grease etc

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/19 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Two sockets and a vice works fine, but I have to ask why fit metalastic bushes ?

Poly bushes are the way to go, simple to work with easy to put in and take out, re grease etc

steve

Longer lasting, don't squeak, don't seize up and cause wishbones to snap.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 7/8/19 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used some lubricant to help push them in.

Firstly I tried on a Sunday to find some rubber based lube.... Yep I ended up at Sainsbury's buying something that really didn't work. I then went to Halfords and got some rubber and nylon lubricant. Worked a treat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.