Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine capacity change. Supply of information to DVLA
John Bonnett

posted on 28/12/19 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Engine capacity change. Supply of information to DVLA

I am considering an engine change for my project and note that the DVLA ask for a written confirmation from the manufacturer showing engine number and size. In my case it would be Ford. Has anyone actually got this information from a manufacturer?
Simon

posted on 28/12/19 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue when I swapped one Rover V8 (3.5) for another (3.9), they wanted evidence. I wrote to them and said I was the manufacturer of the car but they insisted on it coming from a garage. Had a friend who runs a motor workshop knock up a piece of paper.

Suspect any homemade headed paper will suffice but to be honest, so long as insurance is notified and you aren't diddling them out of rfl, the whole exercise seemed pointless in retrospect.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/12/19 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
They ark for three pieces of information. Purchase invoice for the engine on the suppliers headed paper, a report from a garage for insurance purposes and finally confirmation from the manufacturer which I take to be the For MC of the engine number and capacity. The first two items should not be much of a problem but it's the third that concerns me.

Simon did just the one piece of information satisfy them and did you speak to the DVLA on the phone or just correspond?

gremlin1234

posted on 28/12/19 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I guess its not a new engine, else it would all be very easy.
do you have the vin or reg.no. of the car for the doner engine?
if so may be possible to look it up 'as built' via fords 'etis.ford.com' **

also, I don't think they care that much if it isn't trying to get the car into a lower tax bracket

** with the vin, it should show model details inc engine size, registered independent operators can search on reg.no., and also get much more data. contact me (private message) if you need help with this.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/12/19 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I guess its not a new engine, else it would all be very easy.
do you have the vin or reg.no. of the car for the doner engine?
if so may be possible to look it up 'as built' via fords 'etis.ford.com' **

also, I don't think they care that much if it isn't trying to get the car into a lower tax bracket

** with the vin, it should show model details inc engine size, registered independent operators can search on reg.no., and also get much more data. contact me (private message) if you need help with this.

No it came from a breaker, cash sale and no receipt.

SPYDER

posted on 28/12/19 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I recently updated my car's V5 to show its new engine number and cc.
DVLA website says...

You need to provide either:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

I sent a copy of the handwritten receipt for the engine, which I had bought second hand, together with a close up photo of the engine number.
The V5 was returned updated. No problems.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/12/19 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody for your replies. All very encouraging and from what you've said, all I need is a purchase invoice to elicit an updated V5C .
CosKev3

posted on 29/12/19 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
When I went from a car engine to a bike engine I had to supply a letter from a garage, as this dropped the car into the cheaper PLG tax bracket.
But going from the 998cc bike engine to a 3ltr V6 car engine I just sent the V5 off with the cc and engine number changed and it came back altered.

StrikerChris

posted on 31/12/19 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Not meaning to hijack, but does the same as above go for a tintop too? My main concern being emissions for mot. My cars 1985 2.0l. Hence no real emissions or cats. The replacement is same size but could be from anything early to late 90s so emissions may well play a part....
Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 31/12/19 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Being a tintop doesn't make any difference to the "evidence required". The car will still be tested as a 1985 car.
StrikerChris

posted on 2/1/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Being a tintop doesn't make any difference to the "evidence required". The car will still be tested as a 1985 car.

Just what I wanted to hear!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.