Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 Westfield Cooling Problem?
Ghostrider1911

posted on 10/3/20 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
ST170 Westfield Cooling Problem?

Hello guys!

I have converted my Westfield SE to ST170 Engine.

So now i have the Engine Running, but it´s getting hot.

My Question is: Is this a Problem that my coolant hose is at the same height as the cylinder head? Or should it be lower.

The Expansion Tank (as you can see in the picture) is at the same height as the coolant pipe.

Please let me know your suggestions about my cooling system.

Also i have this Problem:
The Coolant is getting hot -> expands, and goes into the pressureless container (Sits a bit deeper in the car, maybe visible on the pictures)
But when it gets colder, it doesn´t really suck the coolant back into the pressure system, my pressure container (round part with pressure regulator) is then half empty.

What am i making wrong? Is my pressureless container to low to suck the coolant back?
I know that many oem cars have this cooling princip so i thought it would work.

Maybe someone here is able to help me.

PS: Sorry for my english, i hope you can understand me

[Edited on 10/3/20 by Ghostrider1911]

Davedew

posted on 10/3/20 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Could you add some more pictures of your hose connections?
It looks like you have the bottom of the header tank plumbed directly into the bypass port of the thermostat housing.
The bypass port from the thermostat housing should loop round into the bottom hose of the radiator.

HTH Dave

Ghostrider1911

posted on 10/3/20 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Later i will add some more Photos of my Build.

Can it be a Problem that the coolant pipe (alloy pipe in the picture ) is higher than the cylinder head?

The Thermostat housing has 1 Big Fitting and 2 Small Fittings:
1 Big Fitting: Radiator with alloy pipe
1 Small Fitting: header tank with pressure
1 Small Fitting on the other side: - oil cooler - radiator bypass hose.

The 2 Small Fittings on the Thermostat housing are connected internaly, so i think this is ok so far.

Davedew

posted on 10/3/20 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Although the alloy pipe being higher may not be ideal, it shouldn't cause it to over heat.

Water flows out of the thermostat housing from both of the small fittings.
The way you have it connected the engine will pump water back into the header tank, which when full will overflow into the pressure less container.

You should really 'T' the header tank into the pipe it is currently connected to and continue this pipe to the bottom rad hose as another bypass.

The below picture from big_wasa shows what I mean

[Edited on 10/3/20 by Davedew]

kingster996

posted on 10/3/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how my Blacktop Zetec is set up. (Cooling is exactly the same on ST170 - EDIT: apart from the oil cooler thing!))

It's important to "T" in the expansion tank close to the water pump NOT near the thermostat even if you think it would be easier.

Also - on a Westy the BOTTOM hose is the "S" shaped one, the top hose on the rad is a straight connection to the "hockey stick" alloy pipe.

[Edited on 10/3/20 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

ragindave

posted on 10/3/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
You have the thermostat bypass going into the header tank you need to route this into the bottom hose near the rad as in the diagrams

https://youtu.be/4dDQMxfODRM

Ghostrider1911

posted on 11/3/20 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Good Morning Guys!

I have made some pictures of my actual Setting.

As i unterstand it would be the best to lower the Top hose ( so there will be no air that cant go out)
This wouldn´t be a big deal, but it´s not my main problem

I understand the following as you said:
I must connect the pressure container just BEFORE the water pump, but what is the reason?

Maybe someone here can explain it to me

My pressureless container is a self made 2l Container, what do you think about it? Is this construction going to work?

I found out that there are 2 types of radiator caps, i actually have one that has only 1 seal.
Am i right that these 1 seal types arent able to suck the water back from the pressureless container to the pressure container?
So my water goes only in 1 direction ( as it actually is), it goes to the pressureless container and never comes back from it.

Thank you guys for helping me so much!

big_wasa

posted on 11/3/20 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I better just point out the pic linked to my name isn't my work. I just added the the turbo bit

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.