Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe clipping
Crockpot

posted on 8/5/20 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe clipping

I've been looking through the posts on brake pipe clipping. I know about spacing of clips etc but cannot find anything that helps in my case.
I had planned to clip every 200-250mm but the pipe in between would be in free space i.e. not against a panel. It would appear that the testers frown on this, although not explicitly prohibited in the manual.
It's an easy fix at this stage so any thoughts on it?

Slimy38

posted on 8/5/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
How 'free space' are you talking? If it's possible to damage it by a rogue foot or bag of luggage then yes I'd say it can't be free. For me the reason for it to be against a panel is so it can't be damaged.

If it's away from a panel to avoid a sharp corner round a metal bar or moving part then that is probably a bit better.

gremlin1234

posted on 8/5/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crockpot...It's an easy fix at this stage so any thoughts on it?

I think you know the answer, route it properly, one less thing to fail on.

ianhurley20

posted on 9/5/20 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Inside the transmission tunnel I put a strip of aluminium about 50mm wide fitted to the frame and use this to attach brake pipe and also flow and return fuel pipes. Straight run and supported every 200mm or so with clips. The clips I used had a single 6mm push fitting and spaces for two 8mm pipes and one 5mm which was perfect

CosKev3

posted on 9/5/20 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
If a car manufacturer did it you could get away with it,but you never see a brake pipe that's not running on solid chassis/floorpan on a production car so theres your answer!
Crockpot

posted on 9/5/20 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Change of plan it is.
rusty nuts

posted on 9/5/20 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Inside the transmission tunnel I put a strip of aluminium about 50mm wide fitted to the frame and use this to attach brake pipe and also flow and return fuel pipes. Straight run and supported every 200mm or so with clips. The clips I used had a single 6mm push fitting and spaces for two 8mm pipes and one 5mm which was perfect

Did the same.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.