Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing bitumen from a tyre
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/20 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Removing bitumen from a tyre

Seems I drove over some very soft bitumen on the road which has covered half the tyre and is proving a total nightmare as stones are sticking to it and it's putting the whole wheel out of balance making the car shake. I've tried scraping it off but it's so difficult. Any ideas how to deal with it without wreaking the tyre???

thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 7/7/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Probably sounds worse than it is. A good thrash down a muddy road?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 7/7/20 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Remember that old trick for getting candle wax out of carpets? Put kitchen paper over it and iron it- the liquid wax is absorbed into the paper.

I wonder if you could do something similar with towelling and a (very!) old iron?

Or other heat source but an iron would seem an easy/cheap to source one.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 7/7/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
White spirit takes bituemen off body work, as does petrol,

so immersing the tyre into a large bowl ?

what about a pressure washer to get most of it off?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Benzine

posted on 7/7/20 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
(very!) old iron?

Any old iron!

nick205

posted on 7/7/20 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
How old are the tyres?

How close to renewal time are they?

SWMBOs car recently got a puncture, which annoyed me at first. The car has no spare wheel so after pulling a nail out I had to fill the tyre with gloop, inflate and then replace the tyre. In the end I replaced both front tyres as they were a month or two away from needing to be replaced anyway.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/20 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah this is like 1/2 inch thick right across the full width of half a side, with stones pressed into it I don't think a paper towel is going to cut it. I've tried a wood chisel and been at more risk of puncturing the tyre. I'm not keen on using any spirts or petrol as that may affect the rubber...
Slater

posted on 7/7/20 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fit the wheel to your driven axle then do some nice wheelspins, burnouts etc. that should scrape it off.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

James

posted on 7/7/20 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah this is like 1/2 inch thick right across the full width of half a side, with stones pressed into it I don't think a paper towel is going to cut it. I've tried a wood chisel and been at more risk of puncturing the tyre. I'm not keen on using any spirts or petrol as that may affect the rubber...

1/2"? Did you drive down a road they were still laying tarmac on?

Would The Tool (carefully applied not to damage the tread!) do it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

sonic

posted on 7/7/20 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Contact the council and make a complaint, i drove down a road recently with no warning signs and no way of avoiding pot holes that had just been filled in.
my tyres were covered and then loads of chippings stuck to them, i took loads of pictures also showing my car body work peppered with black dots.
sent it to council and they told me to get two quotes to put it right and they would pay the bill.

Mick

Daf

posted on 7/7/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
What about pouring boiling water over it to soften then trying scraping?
JMW

posted on 7/7/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Or a heat gun?
sebastiaan

posted on 8/7/20 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
heat gun + scraper. Similar to taking pickup / marbles off slick tires. Hard work.
russbost

posted on 8/7/20 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
You can use any solvent on it you like TTBOMK there is no solvent on earth that will affect a rubber tyre, hence why they have become such a disposal nightmare as you can't even melt the tyre down in any ordinary way

I would have thought heat gun & scraper followed by old rag soaked in petrol or thinners - don't combine the heatgun with this!

Alternatively get it up to 150 mph, i'm sure the centrifugal force will remove it for you!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 8/7/20 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
As above, petrol and a cloth/toothbrush, it's a minor inconvenience at most.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/7/20 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
You can use any solvent on it you like TTBOMK there is no solvent on earth that will affect a rubber tyre, hence why they have become such a disposal nightmare as you can't even melt the tyre down in any ordinary way

Diesel doesn’t do tyres any good!

If your going to use a solvent use Bufsol , made for tyres , ask your local tyre dealers if they can get you some

russbost

posted on 8/7/20 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Diesel doesn’t do tyres any good!

If your going to use a solvent use Bufsol , made for tyres , ask your local tyre dealers if they can get you some

Diesel will have no effect on the structure of the rubber - just makes it slippery until it's burnt/worn off

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rusty nuts

posted on 8/7/20 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Try soaking a tyre with diesel and see what happens!
russbost

posted on 8/7/20 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Try soaking a tyre with diesel and see what happens!

Hmmm, interesting, I've always understood that modern tyre compounds were totally impervious to virtually any chemical attack, hence my comment about why they are such a pain to recycle. Surely if diesel actually gets "into" the compound & softens it then leaving tyres soaking in diesel would bring about their eventual destruction & carcasses could be easily separated from the rubber. Tried googling & found plenty of "urban myth" stories about diesel softening rubber, but can't find anything from anyone with qualifications.

I would have expected that soaking in diesel would do nothing more than dissolve crap off the outside of the tyre rubber giving you (possibly) temporary additional grip until the diesel had burnt/rubbed off

My understanding has always been that the only way to break the tyre compounds down to anything useful is the pyrolytic conversion at very high temperatures - apparently they can actually turn tyres back into fuel that way - not a very efficient process I would imagine

Quite happy to stand corrected, but would be interesting to see anything like a uni study, or scientific paper on it

coyoteboy

posted on 8/7/20 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel or petrol won't harm the tyre as you'll clean it straight back off again. It's vulcanised, sure those hydrocarbons are solvents and will soften it over time, but when we talk about oil damaging rubber we're normally talking about things like hoses and o-rings and over years with heat. Not from a quick wipe down with a wet rag and a clean off.

If it was, you'd be replacing tyres every few months due to contamination at fuel stations...

skippad

posted on 9/7/20 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cellulous thinners or tar remover (5ltr tin) and elbow grease will get off ...but wont be a 5min job.
Patience needed!!

indykid

posted on 9/7/20 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Chest freezer? Pipe freeze spray?

Chill it down and crack it off?

jacko

posted on 9/7/20 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a new tyre greedy burger😎😎😏
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.