Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail - Not too bad!
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 4/10/20 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Fail - Not too bad!

Afternoon all, thought I'd just make up a post regarding my recent IVA experience to follow on from my Pre-IVA one. No pictures of the day unfortunately - I'm pretty terrible at remembering to take them!

After the comments from my pre-IVA thread I went to work rectifying the outstanding issues, especially regarding sharp edges! The 3D printer really proved its worth here, printing off end caps for the roll cage tubes, radiused bezels for the instruments and side repeater pods that allowed me to move my side repeaters further forwards to meet the 2.6m rule (see below).

So on Thursday we got up nice and early to take the car the 15 minute drive to the testing center in Avonmouth - a real catch 22 as it's only a short run, so relatively low stress, but also very little time to trial it! Although a mile of that is on the motorway, which is something of a baptism of fire considering this was the first time the car had been driven on the roads!

The journey over was uneventful, and the car was stable - I kept it at about 60 MPH for this first run. Unfortunately it became apparent that my attempts at using the adaptive map function on the Emerald had backfired badly and it was running about 12:1 on the widebands, waaaay too rich. I'm new to this mapping malarkey, but had hoped it would lean out with use... it did not.

Anyways, on to the purpose if this post - my fails!

02B - Metered Emissions. No surprise here, it was well out of the required ranges - I've since leaned out the map, but may have to take it to get rolling roaded. It actually stank out the building!

09C: Park Brake Control. Not sure on this one - he claimed there was no reserve travel on the lever, but it was only about half way up... didn't really want to argue with him about that. I may adjust it to engage lower in its travel, but the cable was already pretty tensioned.

09D: Hydraulic Systems. My bad - I thought the label embossed in the top of the Master Cylinder covers the labelling requirement, tester said that I need another label specifying Dot 4 in the area too. Label on order.

09E: Brake Performance. Basically the handbrake engage well enough (13.8% where 18% is required). I think I need to re-adjust the calipers so they bite better.

12: Interior Fittings. Someone actually picked up on this in the pre-IVA pictures, so I owe them an apology! My solution of adding padding only works if there's a 5mm + radius underneath it, despite the fact it was so well padded you couldn't feel the edge even when pushing against it very hard. C'est la vie, them's the rules! Currently in the process of designing and 3d printing some edging for it, since the underside of my dash is a funny shape.

16: Exterior Projections. Failed on the track rod end locknuts and exhaust clamp bolts, which I thought I'd arranged to be exempt but hadn't quite. I had some convoluted tube to go over the track rods but hadn't fitted it in case I needed to adjust the toe for self centring, but turned out it was fine. Already refitted the convoluted tube and adjusted the clamp bolts, so this is already fixed.

25: Headlamps. Basically the aim was very slightly off - tester said that when I come back for the retest he doesn't mind helping me get them set up using the equipment before actually testing them, very useful!

31: Seat Belts. I currently have 3" Luke harnesses which have the FIA markings, but expired in 2011. I was under the impression they did not need to be in date, however the tester disagreed. New IVA harnesses will be on order when I can ensure they have the correct markings!

33: Identification of Controls. Proper kicking myself about this - I forgot to label the starter button

44: Masses and Dimensions. Cocked up and guessed the rear axle weight at 50kg too light - turns out this is a bit of a tubby car!

General Construction.
- My radiator closing panels were loose; that's entirely on me and something I'd overlooked.
- Diff mounting bolts. I'd used loctite and added tell-tale marks, but he said he couldn't accept it as there was no evidence. Replaced them with nyloks.
- Engine Oil Leak; in the best traditions of crap going wrong at the last minute my sump gasket sprang a leak on the way over. Replacement item on order.

So all in all nothing I'd consider to be too major, my only realy concerns are getting the handbrake sorted and emissions.

Thanks for everyone's help getting this far - need to think about when to book the retest now!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Deckman001

posted on 4/10/20 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
HI Ya,

Well done for getting so much passed, very few people with locosts get a straight pass as we hadn't built a car before so we are all learning.

'm for a test soon, so maybe the next fail, I'll keep looking at mine and see if I can see anything wrong without fully knowing what the tester prefers to see, I can though see a bit of oil on my sump, so I might have to quickly strip the sump and see if just a new gasket will clear that up before the test

Jason

harmchar

posted on 4/10/20 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I also regard that as a "good fail". At least you have a list of fixes that seem easy enough.
I will have to look into the harness sell by date as well. Thought that only applied if you were competing and had to go through scruteneering.
Good job. Great to see another one almost there.

Deckman001

posted on 4/10/20 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
I also regard that as a "good fail". At least you have a list of fixes that seem easy enough.
I will have to look into the harness sell by date as well. Thought that only applied if you were competing and had to go through scruteneering.
Good job. Great to see another one almost there.

Hmmm harnesses, dam, another probable fail for me as mine are at least 14 years old and never used

Jason

harmchar

posted on 4/10/20 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hoping someone wiser comes back with a nugget of knowledge, but I'm thinking that the harness with FIA approval marking has the date on it, but a BS3254 doesn't.
Also states that the seat belt only has to be of the equivalent of a passenger car and have an E or e marking.

Deckman001

posted on 4/10/20 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Hoping someone wiser comes back with a nugget of knowledge, but I'm thinking that the harness with FIA approval marking has the date on it, but a BS3254 doesn't.
Also states that the seat belt only has to be of the equivalent of a passenger car and have an E or e marking.

ooooo, that could a saver for me, i'd better go check my harnesses

Jason

starterman

posted on 4/10/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Where does it say that it needs an E marking? I can't find it
starterman

posted on 4/10/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Deckman001

posted on 4/10/20 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm hoping that an E marking is sufficient as mine has a great big E2 on them.
big_wasa

posted on 4/10/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would love to know what it drives like with the v6 ? sports or more Gt
sdh2903

posted on 4/10/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have an emerald map that got me through iva if you want a copy to compare.

In my experience playing with the adaptive you have to be in the vicinity and it will then tweak it but it doesn't have massive authority to make big changes.

As above I don't believe the harnesses need to be in date.

sdh2903

posted on 4/10/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

I'm only a few hundred miles in on mine but in my opinion it does both very very well.

ianhurley20

posted on 4/10/20 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Badger - must say I think your tester was a bit - picky - I am waiting for an IVA which was applied for in March, money taken in April and no indication yet of a date. When did you apply and get your date?

Irony

posted on 4/10/20 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I passed my IVA with out of date harnesses. I cut the date label off. The tester didn't mention anything
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/10/20 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good job, sounds like next time will be a pass

Thanks for sharing as your fail points only help others

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 4/10/20 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Well done Badger - must say I think your tester was a bit - picky - I am waiting for an IVA which was applied for in March, money taken in April and no indication yet of a date. When did you apply and get your date?

Ian, I paid for my IVA test last week and at the same time they then gave me a test date !

So give them a call and ask about your test, my date was only two weeks apart from when I paid them.

Jason

gremlin1234

posted on 4/10/20 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
for seat belts/harnesses

from iva manual secn 31/rs3

3. Each seat belt must bear the appropriate approval marks or have
the equivalent characteristics to that of a belt approved for the same
category of vehicle to ensure the belt meets the required approval
standards. (see Notes 1 and 4)

notes

Note 1: A British Standard BS3254 Part 1 1988 or evidence of FIA 8853-98 approval for a harness belt is acceptable

Note 4: Characteristics include
The webbing is of an equivalent type of material and where it is likely to come into contact with the body of the wearer is at least 46mm (33mm in the
case of harness belt shoulder straps) in width.
All components are suitably protected against corrosion, e.g. plated or coated.
The locking mechanism, i.e. the buckle, when both under load and not under load, can be released by a single movement in one direction by either
hand.
Other than a harness belt the locking mechanism contact area with the body of the wearer is not less than 46mm in width.
For a static seat belt there is a manual adjusting device
&#61623; accessible to the wearer when seated
&#61623; convenient and easy to use
&#61623; capable of being tightened with one hand.
For a retracting belt, the retractor locks when the vehicle is subject to deceleration, tilt or the belt is pulled quickly from the retracting mechanism

harmchar

posted on 4/10/20 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman

3. Each seat belt must bear the appropriate approval marks or have the equivalent characteristics to that of a belt approved for the same category of vehicle to ensure the belt meets the required approval standards. (see Notes 1 and 4)

If this point 3 is followed and you use the equivalent belt characteristics of a Sierra belt, it will have an E or e marking. (My understanding of it) but might not be an examiners take on it. I tried to read the BS.... regs but fell asleep after 2nd sentence.
Hope this is right, as I am sure there is no date tag on my harness set that has been purchased well over 5 years ago and never used.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/10/20 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the comments - looks like the tester may have been in the wrong regarding the belts then, but since he's doing the retest (and I want to pass!), I'll still probably replace them.

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I'm only a few hundred miles in on mine but in my opinion it does both very very well.

I tend to agree with sdh2903; I didn't get to drive it far, but it seemed fairly happy on the motorway and the back roads. I didn't dare put my foot all the way down, but the acceleration on half throttle was goooooood The only things I've found are that the gear ratios are a bit short (may have to invest in a 3.14 crown wheel and pinion) and the throttle is fairly twitchy - looking at making a slightly more forgiving profile for the throttle body cam.

quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20

Ta muchly - I agree somewhat, but you've just gotta roll with it! I applied for mine back at the start of July, but heard nothing until I started kicking up a fuss at the beginning of September - I'd definitely chase it.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

ianhurley20

posted on 5/10/20 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for both replies guys - believe me they have been chased but with no joy at all - maybe its because of the test center - Norwich - being short on staff???? Further chasing in a few moments

starterman

posted on 5/10/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I hd my test date for September but had it postponed two days before. New test date is this Thursday.
Deckman001

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman
I hd my test date for September but had it postponed two days before. New test date is this Thursday.

Good luck !!

Jason

CosKev3

posted on 6/10/20 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Get the oil out of it sharpish,will probs stink of fuel.

I learnt the hard way with my first engine,drive to the RR with over fueling.

Span four big ends in the rods on my first spirited drive

MikeR

posted on 6/10/20 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the deal with the propshaft? The standard ford prop doesn't use lock nuts just bolts with threadlock.

(thinking way ahead for my test in 10 years time)

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/10/20 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Whats the deal with the propshaft? The standard ford prop doesn't use lock nuts just bolts with threadlock.

(thinking way ahead for my test in 10 years time)

The propshaft wasn't mentioned. I can't see any issues so long as you use the original bolts with the blue thread coating. Never read anything about reapplying any thread lock though and certainly never had the bolts come loose. You could go belt and braces and use longer bolts and then fit nylocs but I don't think that's necessary.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.