Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA side repeaters challenge
Johnmor

posted on 17/10/20 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
IVA side repeaters challenge

Hi All

I have been trying to find a solution to the side repeater issue for IVA,

I must thank those who have posted on this issue before as the knowledge and experience has been very useful

Basically i had limited options, having placed some very neat repeaters in the scuttle i quickly realised this would not pass IVA as the massive rear arches on the Viento obscure from the 5 degree rear angle.

I then looked at placing them on the rear arches as some have done in the past, however because the Viento is a bigger version of the standard locost the 2.6m rule from the front made it very close call and low down on the arch, in addition i didn’t want to bore holes in fiberglass that is now impossible to get.
Reading the regs , the repeater lens must be Emarked and to standard 5 (repeaters), this limits option for the type of repeater to use as many small repeaters are unmarked and would also cause a fail

So, don’t laugh, I decided to use the repeaters from a Fiat Uno, a polypipe elbow and some cheap IVA safe mirrors (£12.00).

The cable can easily be swapped after IVA to the original location and the mirrors will be replaced covering and hole in the scuttle.

I have been unsuccessful again at trying to post pics and given up now but have attached some links from ibb
Can anyone see any obvious issues I may be missing?

https://ibb.co/jJCwQ63
https://ibb.co/hFCKPc8
https://ibb.co/b66gZmH

gremlin1234

posted on 17/10/20 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
Reading the regs , the repeater lens must be Emarked and to standard 5 (repeaters), this limits option for the type of repeater to use as many small repeaters are unmarked and would also cause a fail

where is this requirement shown? - I can't see that anywhere in the IVA M1 test manual

Johnmor

posted on 17/10/20 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I maybe wrong but i think it comes under "relevant markings"

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Markings–

(a) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer, other than a trailer drawn by a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:

An approval mark and, above such mark, the following numbers–

in the case of a front indicator, “1”, “1a” or “1b”;

in the case of a rear indicator, “2”, “2a” or “2b”;

in the case of a side repeater indicator, “5”.

I have noticed all the manufactures repeaters lenses have an E mark and a 5 on the lens, I think some on here have failed before for using front indicators or lorry side markers whichhave the wrong marks,

Id be happy if im wrong

snapper

posted on 18/10/20 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Car builder solutions have many IVA safe side repeaters.
With all due respect I find you solution a bit weird.
A friend put CBS mico led lamps 28mm in the headlight bowls for a neat permenant solution

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/10/20 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Another solution is to just mount the repeaters. On the outside edge of the wing mirrors.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jelly head

posted on 18/10/20 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Another solution is to just mount the repeaters. On the outside edge of the wing mirrors.

MNR do this on their IVA kit, no issues with it.

Johnmor

posted on 18/10/20 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yep its a little weird but only a solution for IVA

There are lots of IVA safe repeaters but most are way to big to mount in mirrors and boring a hole in £100 headlight bowl is a little far for me, but will investigate when i get my headlights.
I had them in the scuttle my last kit and it passed SVA no issue, but im aware things have changed so applying belt and braces as its a 90mile round trip for IVA test and woudlnt want to fail on a misplaced side repeater.

Ill see how things go

steve m

posted on 18/10/20 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is some radio/bluetooth repeaters that you could stick were ever My Jobs worth SVA man wants on the body work, arches, etc
(not that i know of such a thing)

As over the last 20 years on this site, this question, of side repeaters, must be in the top 5 questions of all time, but no one knows the answer, and every SVA station, seems to have a different take on the question

Some have passed SVA with on the rear arches, and some have failed, some on the Mirrors, and the same, some on the front arches, pass's and fails

I think there should be a thread, of were cars have been successfully passed, and questions like this a re more pertinent to the SVA center involved, not necessarily about the car specifics

7's because of the nature of design will always suffer with this problem

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 18/10/20 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Now taking this to another level, the ruling on the indicator light should be more specific, as in theory walking round the the car at say 24 inches high, as long as you can see at least one indicator flashing, then this is LEGAL, but the SVA rules, are so ambiguous that the writing of the rules does not follow any form of sensibility

Perhaps, and its not me !! someone should take on the muppetary institution and get it put right

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Johnmor

posted on 18/10/20 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I agree witht he comments and im a little p***d cause i had perfectly good repeaters neatly placed in the scuttle that were clearly visable from virtualy anywhere but would possibly be obscured if you lie on the ground behind the rear wheel arch and ignore the tail indicator !!!!!

Any how as suggested they are currently on the edge of the mirror (fugly) and can be seen from both the front and the rear above the rear arch, appropriatly marked , smoot round edges and at this pont cost me £30 the pair, if they get through IVA ill be happy cause they will in the bin the following day

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.