Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA 28th May.
zetec

posted on 13/5/03 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
SVA 28th May.

Big day booked for 28th May at Chelmsford, my local testing station at Edmonton had a 6 week waiting list! Let me know if you want to tag along....
David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/03 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested to know how they deal with you - fairness, attitude, etc - as C/ford will be one of my 2 options when the time comes. (the other is Norwich - my 1st choice).

cheers,

David

Mark H

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck mate!

Remember check everything then cover it in foam padding.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

GO

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec, I'd love to, but being a wednesday I'll be at work unfortunately. What time is it? might be able to swing a half day.

Chelmsford will be my test station in the distant futureso would be good to see what they're like.

zetec

posted on 13/5/03 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Booked in for 0800.
donut

posted on 13/5/03 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kevin

If it was the thursday then i may have been able to tag along. Never mind. A full report is required by law on this message board!!!!!

Seriously the very best of luck. Once you have passed you can come and finish my car!!!!!!!!

Andy the cheeky one!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoCostLancs

posted on 14/5/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good Luck, hope everything goes to plan (i.e you pass!) whom ever you take with you get them to have a look over it try and spot anything you might have missed might save another test fee.

Good Luck again though I await the test results

zetec

posted on 28/5/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I passed! Still can't believe it myself.. Got paper work sorted as well, number issued and tax paid...all ready for the summer!
Good lads at Chelmsford. I think the trick is to do everything as neat as poss, cover every bolt head you can see, stick loads of foam under the dash, cover bare edges of body work with "u" shaped rubber. If you can show that you have followed the SVA book and have shown care and attention to detail they are happy. They said they do get some kits turn up which are real sheds with people hopeing to just scrap through in which case they start to look for all possible problems.

Just to go over some of the recent questions...

1) I did get thru with home assembled braded brake hoses.
2) The letter from Ford confirming a pre "95 engine meant no hassle when asking for a non cat emissions test.
3) No questions asked about rear brake reducing valve which was fitted under dash and fitted with a cover.
4) Mirrors not checked for "E" marks.

Thanks to everyone for help in the past. It really is not the nightmare I was expecting.

One bit of bad news, the engine sounds very sick so out with the old and in with the new!

donut

posted on 28/5/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Well done Kevin, nice one.

You can come round my house and take me out for a spin now!!!!! or come up to Newlands Corner on Sunday.

Well chuffed for you mate.

Andy - the Jealous one!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
merlin

posted on 28/5/03 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Pass

Well done mate! How did you get on with MOT? was it done at the same station then? I have mine booked for Friday so should be on the road early next week.
Great work, unfortunately 'we' are no longer Locost Builders! merely well chuffed Locost Tinkerers....a new section Chris W???

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

donut

posted on 28/5/03 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin

Why are you having an MOT? surley you don't need one if you have passed SVA. I hear some stations request an MOT 'before' SVA but i'm 99.9% sure you don't need one after.

Are you coming to Newlands Corner on Sunday?

Andy

Andy

zetec

posted on 28/5/03 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
The official line is that the SVA will check the car for it's design, the MOT will check that it is road worthy. In theory you could turn up for the SVA with bald tyres, knackered ball joints and you would be passed as long as they are of a correct type/design. I went for the MOT first as a good tester will find problems with brake balance and check emissions, if they get concerned about no reg. number tell them to enter VIN number and in Reg No. box put "not displayed". Pre book the test, get insurance and have a drive. This was the advice of the SVA helpdesk, not sure if 100% legal or not.
merlin

posted on 29/5/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
MOT

When I was handed my SVA Pass Cert I asked 'what do I do now?' and was told (by the SVA inspector) to get an MOT and then apply for my plates. As long as the car is booked for it's MOT and insured it is legal (as is driving to and from the SVA as long as it is booked in advance!) -
as for Sunday, probably not this time round unless by some miracle I get it registered Friday as well!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.