Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: High pressure fuel filter - Is it safe here?
nludkin

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
High pressure fuel filter - Is it safe here?

The only place where I can easily fit the high pressure fuel filter is near to the exhaust manifold. Is this that safe? Would it pass SVA?

Image deleted by owner
Here you can see (In red circles) the proposed site of the high pressure fuel filter

muzchap

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Are you planning on wrapping those primaries? I for one would not want to place it there - the idea is to keep the fuel away from heat

What's wrong with putting it in the boot? worked for me and a few others

Although TBH - the only real risk you have is if the pump leaks and sprays onto the primaries - but to be fair this is the same risk as 'pipe'.

Personally, I wouldn't - HTH

[Edited on 8/1/07 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

nludkin

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
The boot is a little crazy, what with swirl pot, red-top and bosch fuel pumps and a De-dion axle. I figure it is probably the safest place for it though . I could probably squeeze it in if I make up a nice bracket for it all? Also, I found out the red-tops prefer mounting vertically so I could rectify that too I guess!!

Hmm, back to the garage to see if the rear really is an option.

Thanks for the second opinion I would hate to become a fireball on the way to SVA.

graememk

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt want it there either, whats the other side of the engine ?

nludkin

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Too much I fear.. People aren't kidding when they say using a DOHC is tricky.

Drivers Side - Almost Finished
Drivers Side - Almost Finished

macnab

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
What about covering the down pipes in thermal wrap tape? You know the stuff looks like white cloth. I was going to use that all the way up to the silencer on my car

TangoMan

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I am having the same space problems while trying to get the FI bits in for my Zetec conversion.
I will find a solution though as I wouldn't want any part of my fueling near the exhaust.
The fire risks are obvious if you have a leak but the heat transfer to your fuel would also be a problem. I suspect your fuel would start to get very warm if you stood in traffic for any length of time and would probably boil if only fed back to your swirlpot.

Summer's here!!!!

nludkin

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have had another look at my rear (Ooer!) and think that I can free up enough space for the filter if I move the redtop underneath the tank. So, I now have something to do later tonight :-)

Thanks for the ideas / suggestions.

BenB

posted on 8/1/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Is that round thing a pressure regulator directly above the CV joint of the steering column??? If it is why not put it there- could always get a combined regulator / filter mechanism (can you get filter kings for high pressure?)....

I wouldn't fancy putting it in a naked state in the proposed position (due to the risk of pipes blowing off under pressure)..... If you're going to go down this route I'd at least box in the filter (with grommets to seal the hose appertures) and an open bottom so that if the tubes blew off the petrol would hose out of the bottom of the car rather than over the exhausts headers.... You could even cover the box in the heat reflective ali / GF sheet that Merlin (amongst others) sell for heat reflective purposes to avoid vapour locking and other nasties in traffic (as mentioned)....

Warning- though we strive to avoid it, any of the posted mumblings may contain BS...

[Edited on 8/1/07 by BenB]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.