Board logo

Ball Joints
sting - 17/2/03 at 02:59 PM

Hi All

Was gonna put it as BJ but i thought that some of you might get the wrong idea?

Anyway can anyone confirm that the lower balljoint for use with cortina uprights is an allegro joint as i need to order apair.

Regards
Sting

James - 17/2/03 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sting
Hi All

Was gonna put it as BJ but i thought that some of you might get the wrong idea?

Anyway can anyone confirm that the lower balljoint for use with cortina uprights is an allegro joint as i need to order apair.

Regards
Sting

Erm, unless I'm very mistaken it's a Cortina or possibly Maxi (if your wishbones are suitable) that you want.

The Maxi ones have the benefit of being a bit lighter but you may want/need to modify your wishbones to suit the fact they have only two mounting holes instead of four.

HTH,

James

P.S. You can get Cortina ball joints, transit drag-link ends and trailing arm ball-joints all from Lolocost quite reasonably (about £6/7 each)

Metal Hippy™ - 17/2/03 at 03:27 PM

I bought a pair from a Newark autojumble a while back a fiver a piece.

Currently not sure if I'll need them.

You want them, you can have them a tenner anyway.

Can get hold for tomorrow evening....

Metal Hippy™ - 17/2/03 at 03:28 PM

Additional...

Also in Lincoln, it's just the car isn't here...

sting - 18/2/03 at 02:17 PM

what a plonker i am. I meant maxi Doh!!!!!!!!!!
with the lower arms i have only 2 bolt holes hence not going the cortina route.

holds head in shame

Sting

Metal Hippy™ - 18/2/03 at 02:21 PM

Tsk

James - 18/2/03 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sting
what a plonker i am. I meant maxi Doh!!!!!!!!!!
with the lower arms i have only 2 bolt holes hence not going the cortina route.
holds head in shame
Sting

I'm not exactly sure about this but be a little careful about rushing to buy the Maxi joints.
Others can give a more expert opinion on this matter but there's quite a difference between The Book wishbones (designed for Cortina) and MKeenan's ones (Maxi BJ) as regards the area of the w/bone where the BJ bolts on.
The MK wishbone has a circular hole for the Maxi whilst The Book has only a much weaker (IMO) 'U' shape.
All I wonder is if the 'U' shape is suitably strong enough for the Maxi which has only the 2 bolt holes.

For all I know you may have MK wishbones anyway so this point is somewhat academic but I thought it was worth considering!

HTH,

James

Findlay234 - 18/2/03 at 03:33 PM

Hippy you said you had BJ's lying around....... are they Maxi BJ's and are you trying to get rid of them....... unless sting wants 'em ill take 'em!!

cheers
fin

Metal Hippy™ - 18/2/03 at 03:34 PM

Nope.

Cortina.

Findlay234 - 18/2/03 at 04:30 PM

shucks!!!!

cheers anyway

Metal Hippy™ - 18/2/03 at 05:06 PM

Sorry F18 boy

Jasper - 18/2/03 at 07:40 PM

I got Merlin's wishbones, and they only have 2 holes for ball joint bolts. As they are only small holes I've welded a new angled piece to take the two big bolt holes on the Cortina ball joints. They just didn't look strong enough.

sting - 26/2/03 at 11:01 AM

Sorry all been away for a bit, anyway thanks for the remarks but my wishbones will only take a maxi i think as it has one circular hole and two bolt holes only so i think its a maxi that i need?
Thanks all the same Metal Hippy.

Cheers
Sting

eddymcclements - 26/2/03 at 11:56 AM

Yes - if you've got a single round hole in your lower wishbone it's a Maxi balljoint. Note that if your wishbone design mounts this on the upper surface then the two bolts holding it on need to be very strong! I would suggest using 10.9 high-tensile bolts and suitable nuts with some type of self-locking action.

Cheers,

Eddy

sting - 26/2/03 at 12:13 PM

what if your able to mount from underneath?

cheers
Sting

eddymcclements - 26/2/03 at 01:33 PM

Should be OK. There's no way the two lugs on the BJ are going to pull through the hole in the wishbone. On the Maxi BJ's I've seen the part below the lugs is a slightly smaller diameter than the part above, so you may find that you can only fit them from above - it'll depend how big the holes are, of course.

Cheers,

Eddy

Fast Westie - 27/2/03 at 11:03 AM

quote:
The MK wishbone has a circular hole for the Maxi whilst The Book has only a much weaker (IMO) 'U' shape.

Westfie1d wishbones have a U shape and they are prefectly strong enough. Even for embarasing moments like this

[Edited on 27/2/03 by Fast Westie]

sting - 28/2/03 at 05:43 PM

Maxi joints fitted last night on top of wishbone(won`t fit from underneath)so purchased 12.9 high tensile bolts. thanks for the advice.

Had a nightmare with the top transit drag links tried 2 different model years both incorrect.
looks like a trip to mansfield and lolocost!!

cheers Sting

dozracing - 11/3/03 at 08:14 PM

Hi,

If you need Maxi ball joints i have 10 in stock see my website for details.

www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk

Kind regards,

Darren