Board logo

Unable to prove age of engine
Wolf1e - 26/4/18 at 06:08 PM

Hi guys

I've contacted Mazda uk to obtain the age of my engine via the engine number I have. Problem is they said they also need the vin number which I dont have and the vehicle has been scrapped so no trace of the vin.

I wanted an age related reg plate and this is what I was trying to do but I dont think this is going to happen now I can't supply the vin number. Or is there another way I could get an age related plate?

Has anyone else had this problem or over come it?

Many thanks
Ian

adithorp - 26/4/18 at 06:31 PM

You'd need the vin plate and v5 from your donor to get an age related plate.

Do you know the donor reg' number. It may be possible to trace the vin from that to enable Mazda to give you proof of age for the engine.

Wolf1e - 26/4/18 at 06:40 PM

I do have the reg but ive done a couple of searches with no success.

pmc_3 - 26/4/18 at 09:22 PM

What if you do an hpi check on the reg?

Charlie C - 27/4/18 at 06:08 AM

I had a similar problem with my mx5 engine, but I had a copy of the V5 and a letter from mazda confirming the car age when it was originally imported, but the letter and the V5 didn’t have the engine number on.

The DVLA need to know the reg number because as a rule of thumb for an age-related plate it’s a one in one out system so a car needs to be scrapped to allow for a new age related plate to be generated, not always the case but it’s the simplest processes. You’ve got the Reg number so that helps, a copy of the V5 would have been better but if you have any old MOT's or a receipt for the engine with the car reg on it that would help.

Without any document proof the DVLA probably won’t give you an age-related plate.

An age-related plate is not only based on the engine you’ll need to convince them that most of the donna part are from the same vehicle.

If an age-related plate is important the easiest option would be to find and MOT failure mx5 there should be a lot this time of year as the MX5’s come out for the sunny weather, use the V5 for the age-related application and scrap the car, you could also strip it for part and get your money back. To get around the scrapping of the car without the V5 you can apply for a replacement V5 so you have two original copies. Don’t forget to put the car on sorn.

From my experience import MX5 V5’s don’t have the engine number on it so you could keep you current engine.

The good thing about a Q plate is emissions, you’ll be able to not have a CAT, although I don’t know if the new IVA emissions testing will change that. I have a pre 1995 engine in my car and the IVA tester decided after half an hour of think my car had failed, although the MX5 has a cat as standard on pre 1995 cars my car wasn’t an mx5 so wasn’t to be test as one a effectively the engine was a generic 1.6 engine.

nero1701 - 27/4/18 at 08:00 PM

pm'd

chillis - 28/4/18 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1e
Hi guys

I've contacted Mazda uk to obtain the age of my engine via the engine number I have. Problem is they said they also need the vin number which I dont have and the vehicle has been scrapped so no trace of the vin.

I wanted an age related reg plate and this is what I was trying to do but I dont think this is going to happen now I can't supply the vin number. Or is there another way I could get an age related plate?

Has anyone else had this problem or over come it?

Many thanks
Ian

Never been too sure why everyone obsesses over age related plate. Firstly You need the V5 and VIN from the donor and the donor must not be listed as scrapped.
Engine age was only relevant for emissions, but that's now irrelevant as you will need to meet cat1 now anyway.
Q plate will allow you to make engine changes later as you'll only need to meet visible smoke for the mot, where as age related will require cat emissions at mot time.