Board logo

Sierra handbrake caliper disassembly
OliilO - 17/10/14 at 02:39 PM

I've developed a slight leak from one of the rear calipers on my car, which I think I have identified as being from the seal for the handbrake actuator shaft.

Once the spring age retaining bolt are removed, should the shaft just pull out or do I need to dismantle the whole caliper to release the shaft?

Thanks.
Oli

CosKev3 - 17/10/14 at 03:03 PM

Hi Oli
Complete strip down I'm afraid.
that external seal is not meant to be sealing the fluid into the caliper, thats just a seal to stop crap getting down the sides of the shaft.
One of the internal O rings must be leaking if you are getting brake fluid out of the shaft seal.
I've stripped and rebuilt both of mine, pain in the arse job tbh.
I would get it refurbed by the likes of Bigg Red etc if I need to do any again!

[Edited on 17/10/14 by CosKev3]

mark chandler - 17/10/14 at 04:57 PM

When mine go south I will get some VAG callipers, lighter, smaller and by eBay prices much cheaper!

someone will be along to,tell you what's involved if you go this way, I believe the mountings remain but you may need a different offset disc.

OliilO - 17/10/14 at 05:22 PM

I was hoping after looking at a Haynes excerpt that it would be a matter of just pulling out the shaft and replacing the o-ring, but clearly not. Is the shaft keyed into something in the caliper as I can pull it out about 10mm before it refuses to come out anymore.

Mark; I did look at it as a possible opportunity to get some Wilwoods for the rear, but given the prices I can't justify it. I'll have a look at the VAG route for the future.

CosKev3 - 17/10/14 at 08:12 PM

Yeah there is a cut out in shaft about half way down, and a rod from the spring assembly behind piston locates into it.
so to get shaft out you need to remove piston, then compress the spring assembly, remove a circlip that is a right puss to get to, remove spring assembly, remove another circlip, then remove the rod that locates into shaft.

OliilO - 17/10/14 at 08:16 PM

Think that might be tomorrow morning's task! Ideally need to get the MOT retest done tomorrow, but I can see it being a frustrating endeavour... Most annoying is that I'd never noticed it leaking before it was tested last week.

I've read that a small socket and a g clamp is useful as an impromptu spring compressor, so will give that a go if necessary.

CosKev3 - 17/10/14 at 08:36 PM

Thats what I used.
the hard part is removing the circlip whilst the socket and g-clamp are in the way compressing the spring.
you need some long thin circlip pliers.
if you damage the circlip they are £7 each from Bigg Red!!!

OliilO - 18/10/14 at 06:16 PM

Well... It's back together now and so far doesn't appear to be leaking so I'm optimistic!

I found getting the circlip out, but getting the spring cover back in the right place to be a fiddle. Spent about an hour and a bit trying to get it back in to no avail, turns out that I had slightly bent one of the lugs on removal meaning that it wouldn't sit properly. Then it went in first go. Definitely a bit fiddly though!

CosKev3 - 19/10/14 at 09:12 AM

Nice one.
Did you fit a full refurb/seal kit?

OliilO - 19/10/14 at 12:59 PM

Yes, used one of the kits from Bigg Red. Think I'll leave the other side for now though!

CosKev3 - 19/10/14 at 01:39 PM

Did you find the left over little O ring that is inside the actual piston assembly?