Board logo

Cortina Uprights HELP!!
JC - 27/10/14 at 04:16 PM

Further to my post here I investigated more. As the passenger side calliper fitted the drivers side (upside down), and transferring the hubs from side to side still left nothing fitting the passenger side hub, I turned my attention to the upright.

By measuring, spirit level and by eye, I think the spindle is bent upwards - the hub sits out of true in this direction when you mount it and that also makes sense with the (lack of) ability to fit a caliper.

HELP!!!!!

What can be done? - I guess Cortina uprights are rocking horse proverbial to replace and I want to avoid re making the entire front suspension to suit a different component......

[img] Bent?
Bent?
[/img]

mds167 - 27/10/14 at 04:30 PM

I'm sure someone of a more mechanical mindset will have a locost solution but if all else fails I believe Rally Design sell uprights of Cortina geometry, £195 a pair.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 27/10/14 at 05:10 PM

That doesn't look very healthy, they are quite often used for stock car racing so perhaps its had a hard life. Cortina uprights pop up quite often on here and ebay so i would just look for another pair.

Be quick:
locost kit car parts

Mark Allanson - 27/10/14 at 06:19 PM

I have the drawings for this if you want to measure and check

JC - 27/10/14 at 07:52 PM

Mark, that would be great, thanks!

JoelP - 27/10/14 at 08:16 PM

Ally replacements from raldes.

JC - 27/10/14 at 08:40 PM

The Rally Design replacements are nice....but! It says the caliper brackets suit wilwood calipers - I want to stick with the M16s, and secondly, with VAT and delivery they cost more than a 'Ron'!

43655 - 27/10/14 at 08:48 PM

i think the geometry is the same as the Wilwood Prospindles?
I have a pair here if you're interested / if it is actually damaged

JC - 28/10/14 at 08:03 PM

Is it the pro spindles or the aluminium uprights you have?

On their eBay ad, Raldes say the Ali ones are not compatible with M16 calipers

43655 - 28/10/14 at 08:57 PM

the forged steel Wilwood ones

JC - 29/10/14 at 05:03 PM

Dimensions of the prospindles here

Not the same as cortina

I measured both uprights today. The good stub axle has a small amount of inclination - 0.3 degrees. The other axle is 1.1 degrees.
When the gap between the caliper mounts and the disk is measures, this results in a difference of 1/8th inch, hence the caliper not fitting.

Time for a 'wanted' posting

Ugg10 - 6/11/14 at 11:41 PM

Did you get this sorted, this guy has a set for sale http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=193367