Board logo

Damper group buy
ceebmoj - 24/11/14 at 11:13 PM

I'm at the point in my build where I need to buy a set of dampers, I'm thinking about going with protech. Is any one interested in a group buy if I can secure a discount?

ste - 24/11/14 at 11:24 PM

I would be. What kind of discount are you aiming for?

bart - 25/11/14 at 12:29 AM

im up for it was going to buy some this/next week but can hang on

ceebmoj - 25/11/14 at 07:35 AM

Thanks for the intrest, I will get quotes for 3 and 5 sets and get back to everybody.

Rosco86 - 25/11/14 at 10:44 AM

i could be interested depending on price

scootz - 25/11/14 at 11:06 AM

I could be interested at the right price.

dhutch - 25/11/14 at 12:54 PM

What dampers would you be looking at.

Replaced my rears four years ago with protechs from procomp with new springs, and could well be tempted into doing the same at the front.

Daniel

snakebelly - 25/11/14 at 06:51 PM

Would be up for a pair of fronts only.

greed1 - 25/11/14 at 06:52 PM

Me to but same as everyone else price dependent

Rich J - 25/11/14 at 07:23 PM

I was going to hold out until the New Year for a pair of double adjustables but if the price is right then happy to chip in and make up the numbers

ceebmoj - 25/11/14 at 07:25 PM

Like every one else I'm interested in the saving that can be secured, and this is my only motivation for trying to organize a group buy. I also understand that people may want different shocks sizes from standard (I know that I do), please can you post the following information in the table below. I will ues the rough numbers so far to look at the price brakes.

Does any one know how to do proper tables on this forum?

Dampers
User Name Number Open length Closed length Diameter mounting bolt size Rose Jointed Double Adjustable
Ceebmoj 4 14" 10" 2.25" 1/2" Yes Maby

Springs
Username Number lb/" free length Diameter
Ceebmoj 2 375 7" 2.5"
Ceebmoj 2 350 7" 2.5"

cloudy - 25/11/14 at 07:42 PM

Interested in a car set of single or double adj depending on price - will come back with lengths

James

ceebmoj - 25/11/14 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Interested in a car set of single or double adj depending on price - will come back with lengths

James

Exactly the same as me

[Edited on 25/11/14 by ceebmoj]

cloudy - 25/11/14 at 07:48 PM

A previous group buy on here managed to get to £330 for 4 dampers and springs delivered I believe with 5 buyers!
(http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133534)

[Edited on 25/11/14 by cloudy]

dhutch - 25/11/14 at 09:53 PM

quote:
A previous group buy on here managed to get to £330 for 4 dampers and springs delivered [in 2010] I believe with 5 buyers!
(http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133534)
Which in today's money appears to be about £375.

I recall paying £100 each (in round figures) for a pair of springs and dampers back in ;late 2008, protechs, bought from procomp who revalved and dynoed them. Been very happy with them so far, only casual use on road and at autotest events, but no trouble at all.

Daniel

ceebmoj - 26/11/14 at 09:52 PM

I have been in contact with the suppler today, who committed to having prices for Monday. I will post the prices as soon as I have them.

cloudy - 27/11/14 at 07:32 AM

thanks

ceebmoj - 1/12/14 at 08:39 PM

Hi all,

So I got some numbers from the guys at pro tech. Depending on exactly, how many people get involved in the group buy. The prices may go up or down a little. The prices do not include any form of shipping, it was proposed that I could collect all the shocks and post them out, or people can collect from me in the Manchester area for an extra saving.

1. 400 Series Single Adjustable, Bonded Bush ~ £75
2. 600 Series Single Adjustable, Bearing ~ £80
3. 600 Series Double Adjustable, bearing ~ £150
4. Spring ~ £20

All prices are for a single item.

Please can every one let me know what they think? If you are interested in getting involved in the group buy, I will need to know what you want so that the final numbers can be put together.

Rosco86 - 1/12/14 at 09:34 PM

Is this including vat?

ceebmoj - 1/12/14 at 10:40 PM

All prices are including vat

cloudy - 1/12/14 at 11:33 PM

£150 is a stonking price! I'm hoping they would honor that for the double adjustable 400 series (1.9" ID springs) which is the same price on their website...

Would all payments therefore go via you?

James

ceebmoj - 2/12/14 at 12:38 PM

It's my understanding that the prices will be matched as you would expect. But let me know what you want and I will get the final prices.

To minimize the admin over head for protech the idea is that deal is run through me.

ceebmoj - 2/12/14 at 12:38 PM

It's my understanding that the prices will be matched as you would expect. But let me know what you want and I will get the final prices.

To minimize the admin over head for protech the idea is that deal is run through me.

dhutch - 2/12/14 at 01:01 PM

Looks good. I presume my current shocks are the 400 series but would have to look into that.

When I was buying last time, certainly for the rear, there was a lot of talk about getting them re-valved to suit the lighter car else you would ended up running them on the lightest setting all the time, which was one of the drivers for getting them via procomp rather than direct. Things might have moved on since then, but will these come valved to suit lighter cars?

Daniel

ceebmoj - 2/12/14 at 07:49 PM

The shocks are direct from protech. However I have recently seen the following thread that has some details on further adjustment to the operating range. if this is a deal breaker please let me know.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=194976

I have only had conformation from one person, other than my self being interested in a set so far. If people are not interested that is OK, but I would like to know so that I can get my parts ordered and move the build on, over the Christmas break.

[Edited on 2/12/14 by ceebmoj]

cloudy - 3/12/14 at 11:17 AM

Ceeb - just sorting out spring poundages and will get my order confirmed - might be worth putting some deadlines up to work towards

James

ceebmoj - 3/12/14 at 07:51 PM

The deadline is a good idea, unless any one can see a good reason not to. The dead line is 22:00 on the 10th December 2014. That's one weak from today. By that time I need to know what items people want, so that I can get final cost together. I will be collecting funds the following weekend i.e. the 13 and 14 December. The goal will be to get the shocks to people before Christmas.

Rich J - 4/12/14 at 06:26 AM

Shopping list U2U'd

adamswifty - 4/12/14 at 09:54 AM

I'm looking for some Haynes Roadster rear dampers

Looking on the Protech site it states the following regarding the Haynes roadster dampers;

4 x 400 Series Dampers With extended Top eye.

Is the extended top eye standard? if not, is this an option within the £75 offer?

cloudy - 4/12/14 at 11:12 AM

Adam not sure if different - but I understand if the price is the same it'll likely be the same discount

bart - 4/12/14 at 11:24 AM

when I spoke to them
they are pretty flexible I think as long as its not outrageous they will do it for what ever the price is

adamswifty - 4/12/14 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the responses

cloudy - 4/12/14 at 11:52 AM

Hi Ceeb,

Will U2U this over but:

4x Protech Shocks 400 Series Single Adjustable Bearing 1.9" I.D - 11" open - 1/2" spherical
2x springs 6" length 1.9" Diameter 150lbs
2x springs 6" length 1.9" Diameter 125lbs

Expecting the total price to be around £400

Many Thanks
James

adamswifty - 4/12/14 at 02:38 PM

Thinking about it I can only stretch to one pair of shocks as the moment, I'm guessing the front are the most important if you had to pick?

The car has a locost front setup and Haynes roadster IRS. As I purchased part built, I've not fully assessed the existing suspension, I just know it needs replacing. Is there a standard size and spring rate for the front that is typically used on locost to help me place the order?

bart - 4/12/14 at 02:46 PM

you need to take it off and measure them up
length, spring diameter , closed length ( take spring off) spring length if buying new ,spring wire diameter will tell them poundage
and mounting hole dia and width

ceebmoj - 4/12/14 at 07:19 PM

Just to confirm what others have said. I do not have a price for everything at the moment, however if you U2U over what you would like then I will get the price for the configuration you request. I am sure that prices will be in line with what has been posted so far.

Thanks for all the requests so far.

Rosco86 - 4/12/14 at 09:32 PM

I'm going to give it a miss this time, as theres loads of things I need before shocks, I just hope there's enough people that need shocks a bit further down the line as it's quite a nice saving off rrp!

dhutch - 5/12/14 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Looks good. I presume my current shocks are the 400 series but would have to look into that.

When I was buying last time, certainly for the rear, there was a lot of talk about getting them re-valved to suit the lighter car else you would ended up running them on the lightest setting all the time, which was one of the drivers for getting them via procomp rather than direct. Things might have moved on since then, but will these come valved to suit lighter cars?

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
The shocks are direct from protech. However I have recently seen the following thread that has some details on further adjustment to the operating range. if this is a deal breaker please let me know.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=194976

Spoke to Protech and they have confirmed that they valve the shocks based on the spring rate and that as far as they know ProComp do not then change the valve, which sounds reasonable and quite likely to me.

400 series seem to be the 1.9 inch, 600 the 2.25 inch.

I will confirm open/closed length and spring rate as soon as get chance to measure the ones I have but put me down for a pair of 400s please.

Daniel

Fcck2000 - 5/12/14 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Just to confirm what others have said. I do not have a price for everything at the moment, however if you U2U over what you would like then I will get the price for the configuration you request. I am sure that prices will be in line with what has been posted so far.

Thanks for all the requests so far.

Hi,

Sorry I think I've spotted this a little late on. My Tiger Supercat is currently booked in at Northampton Motorsports Monday 8th Dec where it will be having Poly bushes, corner weighting and new suspension throughout.
Currently the aim was to have Avo dampers, how do they compare in regards to performance to the options in this groupbuy?

Paul

cloudy - 5/12/14 at 11:40 AM

Daniel - thanks,

ceeb - I guess that means we need to make sure the shock orders are grouped with their springs in case that's true

James

dhutch - 5/12/14 at 11:44 AM

quote:
ceeb - I guess that means we need to make sure the shock orders are grouped with their springs in case that's true.
Would not be surprised if all the spring rates used by our cars fit into the 'light' category whatever valves options there are, but if there intended to be used as a set it would make sense to make that clear.

Daniel

ceebmoj - 5/12/14 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
ceeb - I guess that means we need to make sure the shock orders are grouped with their springs in case that's true.
Would not be surprised if all the spring rates used by our cars fit into the 'light' category whatever valves options there are, but if there intended to be used as a set it would make sense to make that clear.
Daniel

While I was discussing the group buy with Protech they said that they would pack the shocks and springs for each of the individual orders separately. But did not want to get involved in shipping everything or taking individual payments because of the added hassle. So I think that I have this covered off all ready.

However one improvement that I can think of for those who are not purchasing springs, let me know what spring rate you are going to use the shocks with and I will let protech know in case it makes a difference to the valving.

ceebmoj - 5/12/14 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fcck2000
Hi,

Sorry I think I've spotted this a little late on. My Tiger Supercat is currently booked in at Northampton Motorsports Monday 8th Dec where it will be having Poly bushes, corner weighting and new suspension throughout.
Currently the aim was to have Avo dampers, how do they compare in regards to performance to the options in this groupbuy?

Paul

Unfortunately I am unable to give a comparison, and suspect that most people would only be able to give a subjective comparison. I would be very interested to see dino plots for the lower cost shocks to enable an informed decision to be made. What I can say is that the guy who designed and fabricated my car only runs Protechs and highly recommends them and he has a number of class wins in the current design.

bart - 5/12/14 at 09:51 PM

2 off
front shocks 400 series single valve
1.9 id 8" long spring 200lbs rate
valve to suit spring please
open 13.5"
closed including bump stop ( full travel )
11 1/4 "
1/2" swivel bearing both ends 32mm wide

2 off
rear shocks 400 series single valve
1.9 id 8" long spring 325lbs rate
valve to suit spring please
open 13"
closed including bump stop ( full travel )
9.5 "
1/2" swivel bearing both ends 32mm wide

dhutch - 6/12/14 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Hi,

I don't know the price of the Avos, and have never owned any, so also can't really compare them. However, as far as I know both have a reasonable reputation in terms of performance and durabilty, at which point for what 98% of us are doing assuming both are in working order there is unlike to be s huge amount in it. Northampton Motorsports know what there doing, as do ProComp which again suggests both are fine. Getting the car corner weighted or not will likely make more difference than the difference between various brands, as of cause will getting new shocks if the old ones are shagged.

Daniel

cloudy - 10/12/14 at 09:24 AM

Ceeb wanted those orders in by 10pm tonight - go go go!

ceebmoj - 11/12/14 at 09:02 PM

Numbers went in yesterday, however I only have 3 and a half cars worth so i'm not sure if they will go with the original prices.

cloudy - 12/12/14 at 09:19 AM

Shame there were not more of us Thanks for organising and let us know what they say on the cost...

Fcck2000 - 12/12/14 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Numbers went in yesterday, however I only have 3 and a half cars worth so i'm not sure if they will go with the original prices.

4 1/2 ;-)

cloudy - 15/12/14 at 02:02 PM

Any news on whether quantities are sufficient?

James

Rich J - 20/12/14 at 11:19 AM

Any developments on this please?

cloudy - 20/12/14 at 12:59 PM

I U2Ud ceeb and he was away this week guess we'll hear next week

Rich J - 20/12/14 at 03:32 PM

Ah, OK - thanks for that.

ceebmoj - 22/12/14 at 08:06 PM

Hi guys, a quick update. Unfortunately I was away for work last week so did not get the opportunity to give protec a call. I tried calling them a couple of times today and it just rang out, I will try again tomorrow and hopefully have an answer for you all.

b14wrc - 24/12/14 at 12:34 PM

Do let us know, price depending i would be interested as well. Assuming its going to be in the new year now.

Rob

cloudy - 4/1/15 at 10:47 PM

Ceeb, can you give an update on this?

James

ceebmoj - 5/1/15 at 12:18 AM

I will be chasing this tomorrow so should have answers for all of us by the end of the day.

ste - 5/1/15 at 01:05 AM

Totally forgotten about this, been busy with a new baby and all that comes with that! Gutted as that price looks great

cloudy - 5/1/15 at 12:17 PM

Sounds good, ste - speak to ceeb you might still be able to get an order in?

maccmike - 5/1/15 at 05:02 PM

Im very interested in the group buy but require MK1 MX5 full set. Can I get in on the order if the price is good?

ceebmoj - 6/1/15 at 07:56 PM

I phoned and emailed today, but I have not yet had a response.

If any one else is interested and you are not on the list below please U2U me what you want ASAP. I will add them to the group buy and get you a quote. Two more full sets of any protec product would be very helpful.

Ceebmoj
Bart
Cloudy
Rich J

Cordell - 9/1/15 at 12:27 AM

Very interested! U2U'd request/specs.

Thanks

cloudy - 9/1/15 at 06:46 PM

Anything we can do to help ceeb? Are you just waiting for them to come back on pricing?

James

Mog72 - 9/1/15 at 08:36 PM

If I'm not too late, I would be interested in a set ( with springs ) for my Seiw westfield

ceebmoj - 10/1/15 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Anything we can do to help ceeb? Are you just waiting for them to come back on pricing?

James

I'm just waiting for them to get back to me, I will chase again on monday.

ceebmoj - 10/1/15 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mog72
If I'm not too late, I would be interested in a set ( with springs ) for my Seiw westfield

Send over what you would like by U2u and I will add them to the order

Rich J - 17/1/15 at 01:04 PM

Any progress on this please?

cloudy - 19/1/15 at 07:28 PM

Looks like this has fallen through, ceeb can you let us know either way please?

I'm sorry, but I can only wait till the end of the week then I'll have to buy elsewhere and pull out - the initial plan was to have them before christmas...

James

ceebmoj - 20/1/15 at 09:45 AM

Sorry for the delay. I understand everyone's frustration I want the parts for my build too.

First of all the bad news, The MX5 coilovers are currently undergoing testing and protech are not willing to send a set out until they have feed back. Kevin asked that you give them a call in a month or so and seeing how they are getting on.

Good news, Protech are happy to honour the prices from earlier in the thread. Protech have just received a batch of the 400 series basses and should have some 600 bases next week. If you have U2Ued me details of what you want please can you check that the order is still correct.

For the avoidance of doubt the details I have are as follows and it would be very helpful if you can send the information in the same format as I have used:

ceebmoj
Shocks
4 * 14" open 10" closed 600 series Double Adjustable 2.25" 1/2" rose joints
Springs
2 * 375 lb/" 7" free length 2.5" id
2 * 350 lb/" 7" free length 2.5" id

Bart
2 * 400 series single valve open 13.5" closed including bump stop ( full travel ) 11 1/4 " 1/2" swivel bearing both ends 32mm wide
2 * 1.9 id 8" long spring 200lbs rate

2 * 400 series single valve open 13" closed including bump stop ( full travel ) 9.5" 1/2" swivel bearing both ends 32mm wide
2 * 1.9 id 8" long spring 325lbs rate

Cloudy
4x Protech Shocks 400 Series Single Adjustable Bearing 1.9" I.D - 11" open - 1/2" spherical
2x springs 6" length 1.9" Diameter 150lbs
2x springs 6" length 1.9" Diameter 125lbs

Rich J

2 * 600 Series Double Adjustable 2.25 id open 13" closed 9" closed length between mounting holes (to include bump stop)
4 * (2 each of top and bottom) bearing spacers 1 1/4" x 12mm

Cordell
2 * 400 sieries single adjustable 1/5" ID loop holes/bonded bushes
12" open length, 8.5" closed (that's the measurement without bumpstop)
SPRINGS (to match above dampers)
300 lbs

Once you have confirmed the orders I would like to start collecting cash.

ceebmoj - 20/1/15 at 09:47 AM

U2U sent to all who have expressed an interest

cloudy - 20/1/15 at 10:54 AM

I can confirm my order is correct - thanks ceeb, what's your plan around timings for us sending the money, and the order being placed

ceebmoj - 20/1/15 at 11:07 AM

Hi as soon as I have all the funds the order will be placed. I would like it to be late this weak or Monday next week if people want to pay in to my account rathere than use pay pall. However it all depends on getting the funds from every one.

cloudy - 20/1/15 at 11:50 AM

No problems, can you confirm the final price for each and your account details (paypal gift - or can bank transfer)
If you can give some timescales once everyone has confirmed -
ie: Payment must be received by Monday 26th Jan and ceeb will place the order on Tues 27th. Otherwise we might end up sending money with no ide when the order will go in

Cheers, appreciate your hard work on this

James

Cordell - 20/1/15 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Cordell
2 * 400 sieries single adjustable 1/5" ID loop holes/bonded bushes
12" open length, 8.5" closed (that's the measurement without bumpstop)
SPRINGS (to match above dampers)
300 lbs

Once you have confirmed the orders I would like to start collecting cash.

S**t yeah I can spot a mistake in my order, sorry! I put 1/5" ID bonded bushes/mounting holes, when they should in fact be 1/2" (The standard universal fitment for kit cars etc.) The rest is correct! Although for clarity I should say that I believe the right spring length would be 8" Hope that's understood?

Thanks

[Edited on 20/1/15 by Cordell]

Rich J - 20/1/15 at 03:50 PM

U2U sent

maccmike - 20/1/15 at 06:02 PM

Thats a shame.
Yes I will give them a call in a month or so.
Thanks for all your effort.

lsdweb - 20/1/15 at 06:22 PM

Daft question!

When measuring my existing dampers, do I take the closed length to be the length it would be fully closed with no bump stop?

Sorry for being twp (Welsh for stupid!)

Ta

Wyn

bart - 20/1/15 at 08:35 PM

if it helps this is how I specified mine

Front
2 off shocks series 400 single valve
1.9 id 200lbs spring rate
Valve to suit please
13” open length
10.5” fully closed including bump stop
Clarification = 2.5” full travel including compressed bump stop
½ spherical bearing each end to 32 mm wide

Rear
2 off shocks series 400 single valve
1.9 id 325 lbs spring rate
Valve to suit please
13.5” open length
9.5” fully closed including bump stop
Clarification = 4” full travel including compressed bump stop
½ spherical bearing each end to 32 mm wide

I set of adjustment spanners.

bart - 21/1/15 at 05:58 PM

any idea where to pay to ceebmoj

[Edited on 21/1/15 by bart]

lsdweb - 22/1/15 at 10:54 AM

If this deal is still on can I please have -

2 * 600 Series Double Adjustable 2.25 id open 12.75" closed 8.75" closed length between mounting holes (to include bump stop)
4 * (2 each of top and bottom) bearing spacers 1 1/4" x 12mm

(Same as Rich J but a quarter of an inch shorter)

Let me know about payment please.

Thanks.

cloudy - 26/1/15 at 10:01 AM

Ceeb, we seem to be going in circles on this one - I'd be concerned now sending over money in case it all stalls again. If you no longer have the time to complete this group buy, would you hand it over to someone else?

James

lsdweb - 26/1/15 at 03:39 PM

Hi Ceeb

I'm going to have to pull out - sorry.

Thanks for your efforts

Regards

Wyn

cloudy - 27/1/15 at 11:39 AM

Hi Ceeb, appreciate your efforts, but I can't wait any longer on these I'm afraid - I also need to pull out

James

ceebmoj - 30/1/15 at 06:14 PM

Hi, sorry for the lack of updates (last minute work trip out of the country) and I appreciate that some have you have had to move on and purchase your bits. The requests for funds and shipping addresses will go out tomorrow evening to those who have not dropped out.

Fcck2000 - 30/1/15 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Hi Ceeb, appreciate your efforts, but I can't wait any longer on these I'm afraid - I also need to pull out

James

Not sure if protech will still do it but I contacted them directly and asked for the group buy discount. They gave me double adjustable a for £150 each inc vat and I got mine about 2 weeks ago. I got the impression they only did it because I wanted double adjustables.

Paul

ceebmoj - 2/2/15 at 02:53 PM

I am going to have to admit defeat with the group buy we now have insufficient people to proceed. Sorry chaps.

Fcck2000 - 2/2/15 at 03:00 PM

quote:
I am going to have to admit defeat with the group buy we now have insufficient people to proceed. Sorry chaps.

It's a nightmare trying to do group buys when people want different things. Well done for trying and thanks because I did manage to get mine at a good price :-)

I would contact Protech and explain how the group buy has fallen through due to them not being more proactive to help getting it all sorted. They were obviously really busy at the time, lots of phone calls not answered was my experience.

Maybe if people who still want them just go direct to Keith and explain how they opted for the group buy which fell through and ask for the group buy prices.

Out of interest.. Did you even manage to get a set for yourself?

Mine are all now fitted to the Supercat and corner weight setup, can't wait to get out on track and start playing with the settings, hopefully will see some good results.

Paul

ceebmoj - 2/2/15 at 06:22 PM

Selective quote

quote:
Maybe if people who still want them just go direct to Keith and explain how they opted for the group buy which fell through and ask for the group buy prices.

Out of interest.. Did you even manage to get a set for yourself?

Unfortunately I have not yet, got a set of shocks.

I would recommend that people give Keith at protec a ring and see what he can do. This is how I'm planning on moving forward.

[Edited on 2/2/15 by ceebmoj]

b14wrc - 18/2/15 at 12:27 PM

I havnt got mine either, never got the message.....