Board logo

Identifying Brake Master Cylinder
907 - 22/3/15 at 06:48 PM

I would like to know if my tandem M/C is the same bore in both chambers or has a smaller front end chamber.

Also which of the two outlets, front or rearward, should the front discs or rear drums be connected into.

I did a rubbing of the number cast into the body and it looks like it's probably 646776860324 C (maybe G)
I was told by the scrappy it was Cortina when I bought it.

Thanks in anticipation
Paul G

ian locostzx9rc2 - 22/3/15 at 07:09 PM

Front brakes are normally the connections furthest away from the pedal end .

907 - 22/3/15 at 08:42 PM

Every time I think I've found the answer I find another to the contrary.

I figure that if both chambers are the same size it doesn't matter but if they differ then it does. ???

found this for instance,

http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalog/taunus-tc1-cortina-mk3/E1.31

Paul G

907 - 24/4/15 at 07:14 PM

I think I have finally got my brakes sorted.

Today I took my car by trailer to my local MOT garage and we ran through the whole thing on the brake rollers.

Left & right almost the same so well within limits on both axles and fronts better than the rears.

He had to fish out a sort of circular slide rule chart thingy to work out the required braking force for the weight
of the car and said that if this had been a proper MOT it would have passed with flying colours.

Considering the disruption I caused with everyone stopping work to watch, the charge of £20 seemed reasonable.
Money well spent.

Now to book that IVA re-test. Yeeeeeee Hah !

Cheers,
Paul G

rusty nuts - 24/4/15 at 07:24 PM

Must be just about ready for retest?

907 - 24/4/15 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Must be just about ready for retest?

Yes Mel. That was job 4 of 4.

This was 4.15 this afternoon otherwise I would have been on the phone to Norwich already.
Roll on Monday morning.

Cheers
Paul G