Board logo

Controlling rear suspension droop?
dan8400 - 19/8/15 at 08:05 PM

Hi everyone.

I am looking into fitting a diffuser to my Tiger Supercat but there is a problem. The rear axle (Sierra) seem to droop too much when I lift the car. The trailing arms are slightly below the level of the rear chassis member (the place I would attach the front part of the diffuser)

I just wondered if there was a way I could stop the excess droop? It seems ok when it's on the ground but if I take off over a bump or jack the car for any reason the trailing arms would bend or tear the diffuser

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 19/8/15 by dan8400]

Talon Motorsport - 19/8/15 at 08:54 PM

Do you have fabricated tubular wishbones on the back? I would remove a wheel and see if you could use one of those webbing tow straps slipped over the end to restrict the drop, it won't rattle like a chain and if does'nt work they are cheap enough to try some thing else.

dan8400 - 19/8/15 at 08:57 PM

No, the Supercat uses the whole Sierra rear suspension unit. Tube, diff, shafts, trailing arms - the lot.

I wasn't aware that I could use straps to resist the springs

Thanks
Dan

Sam_68 - 19/8/15 at 09:05 PM

Maximum suspension droop is normally controlled by the maximum (extended) length of the damper, so you could fit a damper with the same fully compressed length, but a shorter stroke (hence shorter extended length).

In the olden days, people sometimes used to fit simple check-straps to swing axle suspensions to limit their droop, but it's a half-arsed solution and not to be recommended.

If you don't know what you're doing, though, don't mess around with it: limiting droop can have dramatic effects when you run out of suspension travel in roll whereas, to be perfectly blunt, fitting a diffuser to a roadgoing Seven will have about as much effect on performance and handling as fluffy dice and go-faster stripes.

dan8400 - 19/8/15 at 09:10 PM

Thanks for that Sam. I understand the diffuser is more of an aesthetic thing, but it will help with the so-called parachute effect of the rear tub. I am changing the look of my car. Having removed the spare wheel and carrier all you seem to see is the diff. So a diffuser will at least hide that.

I could try some different shocks. I only need to find 25 - 30 mm. I can always refit my current shocks if new ones mess things up with handling etc

Thanks
Dan

coozer - 20/8/15 at 02:23 PM

A well designed diffuser is actually a lot more than purely aesthetic! They do make a positive difference.

dan8400 - 20/8/15 at 02:33 PM

I was hoping that too Coozer. Mind you, I'm no Adrian Newey!!

Thanks
Dan