Board logo

Sierra Rear Calipers
AntonUK - 20/8/16 at 07:16 PM

Are the Sierra rear calipers rebuildable at home?

I need to change the only need to change the dust seal really. Anyone done it?

johnnybizzle1986 - 21/8/16 at 06:01 AM

Hi,

Yes done it a couple of times, stick them in a vice, and unscrew the piston with a pair of maul grips. When you screw the piston back in after I found a little tap with hammer and block of wood help if the pads dont don't quite go over the disc

Regards jon

mcerd1 - 21/8/16 at 04:09 PM

the older versions of the sierra Haynes manuals have detailed instructions - the newer versions just say buy replacement ones....

CosKev3 - 22/8/16 at 06:38 AM

Yeah just doing dust seal will be pretty straight forward.

I stripped mine fully,doable but some small fiddly circlip's holding in the handbrake mech.

OliilO - 22/8/16 at 10:16 AM

As kev says, the piston seals are straightforward but taking the handbrake mechanism apart is a right pain. Well, taking it apart was fine bit it took me most of an afternoon to put it back together again.

nobrakes - 26/8/16 at 07:50 PM

When I was replacing the pads on the back end of my xR4x4i, rust had stuck the dust seals to the pistons. I was using wind-back tool, didn't realise they'd stuck and the seals tore - its probably a good idea to put some red rubber grease in the piston seal groove when reassembling to stop them sticking? (I greased them, I remember it being a right pig of a job to get the new dust seal into the caliper body with the piston in place)