Board logo

Removing Ignition Block
Ron Lang - 12/2/17 at 11:21 PM

Related to an earlier post I made but thought it should probably have its own thread.

Looking to remove everything from the steering column to leave just the steering wheel and and an aftermarket indicator stalk. I've had a quick look tonight but having managed to remove the cast alu ignition block from the black sleeve, I notice that the bearing closest the steering wheel is actually sat in the casting, not the sleeve as it is the other end.

How have people got around this? Do I need to find a different bearing for the end (this is likely just to pop out though as there would be nothing to hold it in)? I don't want to chop and turn the casting down as some others have done as this just seems a bit pointless. The only other suggestion I came up with was to mount a more robust bearing where the steering shaft currently mounts to/passes through the chassis bracket.

Thoughts appreciated. Pictures below for clarity:

Steering Column 1
Steering Column 1

Steering column bearing
Steering column bearing

[Edited on 12/2/17 by Ron Lang]

mark chandler - 12/2/17 at 11:28 PM

I turned down a bit of nylon and used that as a bearing.

Ron Lang - 12/2/17 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I turned down a bit of nylon and used that as a bearing.

And pressed into the end of the black sleeve?

Do you have a picture handy?

Matt21 - 13/2/17 at 01:24 AM

I did this...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/21/viewthread.php?tid=207638

But the ignition can be cut off fairly neatly, I did this with mine as I'm still using the ignition (kind of)

Obviously I didn't bother filing the cast bit to dress it up as I'm no longer using it. It can be done easily with a flap wheel on grinder or a file and elbow grease.

[Edited on 13/2/17 by Matt21]