Board logo

Removing type nine revese stop?
Northy - 22/3/03 at 08:09 PM

How do I remove the Type nine reverse stop?

Thanks

givemethebighammer - 22/3/03 at 08:47 PM

Remove the plate on the back of the gearbox, put a metal bar behind the reverse detent and hit it with a big hammer (the metal bar, not the detent). It will fly out so don't lose it !!

Picture in my photo archive

Northy - 22/3/03 at 09:51 PM

Cheers,

Dne that now.

Next question:

My Gearstick has a big bulgy bit (that I think has rubber in it) in the middle of the stick. I want to cut down the length of it and its right where I want to cut the shaft.

Is it possible to remove it? Or do some Sierra sticks not have it?

Thanks

Mark Allanson - 22/3/03 at 10:20 PM

I think it just holds your garters up!!!

givemethebighammer - 23/3/03 at 11:34 AM

Remove the big bulgy bit as follows:

Securely clamp the gear lever in a vise, make a cut down one side of the bulge with a grinder, using a chisel and hammer (big one of course) separate the two parts of the gear stick.

Then cut as much of the rubber out of the way as possible with a stanley knife. Then make a cut down one side of the metal sleeve still on the gear stick with the grinder. Again remove the sleeve with a chisel and hammer.

You should now have a very short gear stick. Now weld a piece of tube to the new short gear stick to act as a sleeve, shorten the original stick to desired length then weld this into the tube you have just welded to the gear stick.

One gear stick of desired length.

Peteff - 23/3/03 at 02:47 PM

I just cut mine off below and above it and welded the 2 ends back together. It's only an anti vibration thing. The lever was miles too long anyway.

yours, Pete.

givemethebighammer - 23/3/03 at 07:21 PM

Sorry, might sound technical, but in reality it only took 5 mins. Also gave me a bit more stick to work with when coming to welding it back together.Still might have used your method if I hadn't been so keen to find out exactly how the bulgy thing was constructed anyway !!!