Board logo

Suspension Tube
Cozza - 1/4/03 at 08:59 PM

I have built up most of my chassis, except for the tubular parts on the rear end. I am using 3/4" 16SWG ERW steel for this. What is the best method for forming this?

Also, I have 3/4" and 1" ERW steel for the wishbones. Is this okay? My steel for the wishbone eye tubes is 25mm o/d and 21mm i/d. I think it's hydraulic tube. Is this okay?

Thanks for (anybody's) help!

Mark Allanson - 1/4/03 at 09:04 PM

I used a plumbers pipe bender, use the 22mm former, this gives EXACTLY the right radius, I'm guessing this is how Uncle Ron did it!

Cozza - 2/4/03 at 02:48 PM

Isn't a 22mm pipe bender too big for the internal of 3/4" 16SWG pipe? I have a 15mm pipe bender but that's too small by a few mm.
Having never used a pipe bender before, do you twist the spring to get it inside the pipe?

Thanks

Cozza - 2/4/03 at 09:02 PM

Woops - sorry Mark! You must be meaning a proper pipe bender rather than a spring, huh?

Doh!

Do you think the type of tubing I have will be okay?

Thanks!

Viper - 2/4/03 at 09:38 PM

The pipe bender you will need is the swept type, as mark said used by plumbers, the tubing you have might split along its seam you would be better off using cds tubing...but you never know you might get away with it..

Mark Allanson - 2/4/03 at 09:58 PM

Put the seam on the inside and no problems, (I didn't have any problems with the seam on the outside either!)

dozracing - 4/4/03 at 12:53 PM

I had the rear end bent by a pipe bender, it cost me £20.

The 1" wishbone tubing might be considered excessively large, but, more than fit for purpose. Most uses a 22mm ish OD tube. 3/4" will be fine for the top wishbone.

Hydraulic tube is fine also.

Darren