Board logo

Adjustable Trailing Arms -
VinceGledhill - 10/9/03 at 10:06 AM

Hello people. Please could someone tell me where I can get those adjustable trailing arms that I've seen pictures of on so many peoples build pictures.

GO - 10/9/03 at 10:49 AM

I seem to remember someone using Nissan bluebird trailing arms?? May be completely wrong as I'm an IRS bloke.

ned - 10/9/03 at 11:21 AM

Nissan Bluenird rings a bell with me to. I just did a search on nissan bluebird and a whole load of threads came up, maybe worth a look!?

Someone did post a picture of them at sometime to.

Ned.

stephen_gusterson - 10/9/03 at 01:10 PM

it may have been mark allinson that said that BUT

the question was ADJUSTABLE ones - and im not sure that was ever mentioned........

atb

steve

ned - 10/9/03 at 01:31 PM

well, nonetheless, one of the threads in above said search had info on making adjustable ones if thats of any use. some with rod end type screw in/out adjustments etc etc.

Ned.

VinceGledhill - 10/9/03 at 03:24 PM

Thanks guys I've done a search and it seems like I'm going to be looking for a Nissan Bluebird in the scrap yard very soon.

ned - 10/9/03 at 03:31 PM

good luck with finding one vince!

Ned.

locoboy - 10/9/03 at 03:40 PM

try the local curry house, they all seem to have a fleet of nissan bluebirds as delivery cars!

Mark Allanson - 10/9/03 at 06:15 PM

Yep, it was me, you get the adjustable ones from the arse end of a bluebird FWD, there are 1 adjustable and one fixed per side so you need 2 cars. Get 5 arms, I got one fixed to act as a datum for the other 3 to adjusted against. The last adjustable one was cut and lengthened to make an adjustable panhard rod. It is all very simple and dead cheap - £15 total - except for the M14 bolts which I bought new. It is much easier to get them off the Nissan if you drop the rear subframe (2 mins) because the long bolts wont come out because the fuel tank gets in the way. Rescued attachment Trailing arms.jpg
Rescued attachment Trailing arms.jpg

Mark Allanson - 10/9/03 at 06:18 PM

... and all in place Rescued attachment Rear Axle.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Axle.jpg

kiwirex - 11/9/03 at 08:31 AM

Just logged on to ask this question and found a ready made thread...

How long are those bluebird arms? Same as the book arms???

thanks,
Greg H

Ian Pearson - 11/9/03 at 05:01 PM

They're adjustable and fit the book chassis perfectly.

kiwirex - 12/9/03 at 08:18 AM

Ta.

:-)

Mark Allanson - 12/9/03 at 06:11 PM

the arms are 5mm longer than book arms in their natural location, but this is easily adjusted back.

Peteff - 14/9/03 at 09:14 PM

If you use a spherical joint at one end of your trailing arm you can get some adjustment. I used 12mm joints on the axle end of mine with a nut welded to the end of the tube to take the joint. Remember to leave room for a lock nut and allow for the adjustment when planning your propshaft.

yours, Pete.