Board logo

Carb Balancer / Synchrometer wanted
briarswood57 - 27/8/19 at 11:34 AM

Hi there,

Looking for a cheap(ish) carb balancer suitable for 40 DCOEs if anyone has got one they want to move on. Trying to sort the on-going saga of my poorly running crossflow so now trying to verify the carbs are balanced.

PM me with details if you have one for sale.

Many thanks

Andrew

russbost - 27/8/19 at 09:31 PM

Hardly worth trusting a second hand one is it, they are dirt cheap new now

Link

briarswood57 - 28/8/19 at 09:48 AM

Looks great thanks. Being able To see 4 at once would be helpful - apologies for the stupid question - will these work with DCOEs? I had always envisaged something that measured from trumpet part.

If you think these will do the job on DCOEs I’ll get a set.

Thanks. Andrew.

briarswood57 - 28/8/19 at 09:49 AM

Looks great thanks. Being able To see 4 at once would be helpful - apologies for the stupid question - will these work with DCOEs? I had always envisaged something that measured from trumpet part.

If you think these will do the job on DCOEs I’ll get a set.

Thanks. Andrew.

cliftyhanger - 28/8/19 at 10:05 AM

Not selling, but I have a Morgan carbtune. See all 4 really helps as you can see how adjusting one affects the others.
Some carbs ( dellorto, bike stuff etc,) tends to have a vacuum take off which is ideal. Otherwise drill/tap the manifold to M5 or 6 and use MIG tips as take offs, bolt after to plug.

If you want a single type, plenty of those about, even gunson. But the very best are the old Crypton Synchro Check.

I may have a Gibsons one kicking around the garage, will check later

cliftyhanger - 28/8/19 at 10:58 AM

Gunsons, not Gibson (flippin autocorrect)

indykid - 28/8/19 at 12:28 PM

I set the fireblade carbs up on the pinto with a differential manometer made from 6mm polyurethane air hose and a couple of t pieces.

The mainfold vacuum is greater than 7 feet of water at idle (height of garage ceiling) and with a simple manometer to atmosphere, it was slurping all the water out, so I set up a manometer with ends connected between 1 and 2, another between 3 and 4 so any pulsing would be out of phase to stop any resonance, then ran another manometer between 2 and 3 to balance the pairs relative to each other. The whole setup is now balanced within about 1/2" of water overall, far better accuracy than the part to part variation of the calibration of cheap vacuum gauges and better resolution to boot.

I cobbled it together with stuff I had in the garage, but buying the tube and a pair of t pieces, I can't imagine you'd be looking at more than a tenner. It's cable clipped to a piece of 3x2 that sits with the wood store in the corner.