Board logo

Worcester Bosch Boiler Leak
SJ - 5/3/18 at 08:23 PM

Anyone know if there are common issues with a WB 30CDI boilers leaking? Ours is only about 4 years old but just discovered it has clearly been leaking for ages inside, but only enough to drip out a little bit externally. Looks a right rusty mess inside though.

Thanks

Stu

907 - 5/3/18 at 08:39 PM

Weld it up.

It's like putting a new sill on a car.... but soooo much easier.

My local plumber often drops one off to me. It's become a nice little earner.

Paul G

SJ - 5/3/18 at 08:46 PM

"Weld it up.
It's like putting a new sill on a car.... but soooo much easier."

Do I need to turn the gas off first?

[Edited on 5/3/18 by SJ]

v8kid - 5/3/18 at 09:16 PM

At 4 years old its still under guarantee - Bosch service is second to none on the domestic heating market - contact them

Cheers
David

SJ - 5/3/18 at 09:19 PM

quote:

At 4 years old its still under guarantee - Bosch service is second to none on the domestic heating market - contact them

Cheers
David

I did check on the paperwork but according to the warranty card the standard warranty is 1 year, with 2 if you register when purchased.

What makes you think it is still under guarantee?

adam1985 - 5/3/18 at 10:17 PM

Could be a number of things, left, right hydroblocks and flow-sensors are know to leak or could be related to the condensate pipework. With you not saying anything about adding water to the system makes me think its one of the above.
Thankfully worcester parts seem to be reasonable.

Weld it up! Everybody knows worcesters are plastic

v8kid - 5/3/18 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Cheers
David

I did check on the paperwork but according to the warranty card the standard warranty is 1 year, with 2 if you register when purchased.

Mine has a 5 year guarantee standard. The service technician mucked up the second service and forgot to replace the gas sampling plug consequently the corrosive gasses dissolved the internal wiring. Fortunately for my health it was in an external plant room😀

Bosch replaced it with the latest boiler including all labour at no cost and reset the guarantee with another 5 years

That's what makes me think it's under guarantee.

Cheers

Charlie C - 6/3/18 at 07:13 AM

Give Worcester Bosch customer services a call they will tell you the warrenty length, its worth a 5 min call could save you hundreds.

When we had our worcester boiler installed 5 years ago it came with 5 years warrenty as standard with another 2 years if it was fitted by an approved inataller. I think their standard warrenty is 7 years now.

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Cheers
David

SJ - 6/3/18 at 07:41 AM

Apologies - I found the other paperwork with the boiler and the warranty is 5 years. I'll be calling them this morning.

Adam1985 - No, I haven't added any water and it still works fine so could be to do with the condensate pipework.

Thanks

Stu

cliftyhanger - 6/3/18 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Mine has a 5 year guarantee standard. The service technician mucked up the second service and forgot to replace the gas sampling plug consequently the corrosive gasses dissolved the internal wiring. Fortunately for my health it was in an external plant room😀

Bosch replaced it with the latest boiler including all labour at no cost and reset the guarantee with another 5 years

Cheers

B#%£*y hell, a "technician", with all his special certificates and training, and deemed competent, did that!!!
He could have been done for negligent manslaughter.......

I really do not trust many tradesmen at all. They are generally lazy and far from competent. Good ones are worth hanging on to.....

(sorry for drift)

edit for spelling!

[Edited on 6/3/18 by cliftyhanger]

SJ - 6/3/18 at 09:36 AM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Cheers

B#%£*y hell, a "technician", with all his special certificates and training, and deemed competent, did that!!!
He could have been done for negligent manslaughter.......

I really do not trust many tradesmen at all. They are generally lazy and far from competent. Good ones are worth hanging on to.....

(sorry for drift)

edit for spelling!

[Edited on 6/3/18 by cliftyhanger]

I have a nagging feeling that our boiler was fine until it was serviced around a year ago. The day it was serviced there were a couple of drips of water came out, but no more seemed to come out after we had dried it up and the gas firm who serviced it claimed all was fine.

The Worcester Bosch guy is coming today so lets see. No covered by warranty though as the last service was more than 12 months ago.

Stu

[Edited on 6/3/18 by SJ]

v8kid - 6/3/18 at 12:08 PM

Stu,

If only a few months out they should look favourably on it IIRC mine had a patchy service history but they were OK. As I said their customer service is excellent.

Push a little bit for UG repair.

Cheers

SJ - 6/3/18 at 12:24 PM

quote:

Stu,

If only a few months out they should look favourably on it IIRC mine had a patchy service history but they were OK. As I said their customer service is excellent.

Push a little bit for UG repair.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip.

They've been now and fixed it and you are right, the service was good. In fairness they charged to repair it but it was only about £90 more than a service would have cost anyway so not complaining.

They reckon it was caused by the flue O ring not being put in properly when new.

Stu

coyoteboy - 6/3/18 at 09:05 PM

I believe the commonest fault is the bleed valve leaking, which is easy to find/fix.

Ours was fine for 10 years without even a service, though last year it started not igniting - replaced the ignitor tips and cleaned out the combustion chamber - been flawless and silent since.

YOUSAY54 - 7/3/18 at 01:30 PM

We had a Worcester bosch boiler fitted last march by a company in chesterfield begins with A if we use them for service 10 year guarantee few problems but brilliant boiler.