Board logo

A new very random question... about double-glazing handles.
David Jenkins - 26/6/20 at 01:28 PM

I have a wooden double-glazed window at the back of my garage, with a top-opening bit. The window is roughly 1220mm wide, and opening bit is roughly 250mm high. The builder who installed it fitted it with a couple of stays that work, but are a PITA as they limit how much I can open it. The window is fitted with friction hinges at each side, just like a proper double-glazed window so I don't need stays at all, just something to lock it shut when closed.

So now I'm going to fit the sort of handle/lock you find on most double-glazed windows - but my question is, do I fit one in the middle, or should I fit two nicely spaced apart? I suspect that one will be enough, but I don't know what's normally done.

All advice gratefully received!
David

nick205 - 26/6/20 at 01:59 PM

Our house UPVC double glazed windows are 1.1m x 1.1m top hung fully opening. They have single locking handles bottom centre of each window. Work perfectly well on the friction hinges. I fitted opening limiters to the kids bedroom (1st floor) Windows to prevent accidents when they were younger. The limiters can be manually overridden if required for fire escape.

I'd suggest a single centrally placed locking handle will be sufficient.

steve m - 26/6/20 at 03:17 PM

All of my windows over one metre wide have two handles,
But that does mean when you open a window, you must use both hands, on both handles, to avoid overstressing the glass

If you only had one handle in the center, this wouldn't be a problem,

For security, I would go for two

steve

BenB - 27/6/20 at 07:55 AM

I'm sure you know this but make sure you fit ones that can't be snapped to gain entry. Lots of euro style locks still in use are childs play to open.