Board logo

pilot bearing removal - part of clutch replacement
RK - 10/9/07 at 11:08 PM

I cannot find a puller small enough to fit into the hole. Any ideas? this is for the Toyota 22re, which I assume is similar to the 4A GE in that respect. thank you!

rick q - 10/9/07 at 11:30 PM

On my 4AGE, I pushed grease into the space in the end of the crank (behind the bearing) then found a bolt with about the same OD as the bearing ID and drove it in. The bearing gets pushed off by hydraulic pressure. It takes a lot of grease by the way - and a couple of refills during the process.

dmottaway - 11/9/07 at 01:35 AM

try using fresh bread instead of grease - neater and easier to clean up.

dave

RK - 11/9/07 at 01:38 AM

This is a part that's been in there since 1984. You can't be serious.

jollygreengiant - 11/9/07 at 02:25 AM

I've covered this before in another post. Try a small rawl bolt/stud adapted the a large thick washer between the nut and the shoulder of the expanding part, so that you can tighten it then use a couple of levers either side of the rear to lever it out. A good hardware shop will have an abundance of different sizes, they are cheap and with care can be used lots of times.
Just need a bit of lateral thinking.

Bob C - 11/9/07 at 11:39 AM

put a long set screw in the rawlbolt ang as you tighten the screw will bear on the bottom of the hole & push the spigot brg out.
grease works but you get covered in it...
Bob

RK - 11/9/07 at 11:57 AM

Sounds like a plan. Thank you everyone! I would be totally lost in the dark without you - with no matches.

[Edited on 11/9/07 by RK]

RK - 12/9/07 at 01:27 AM

No luck finding the correct tool and I don't really want to start hammering crap in there and getting a bolt stuck etc.

Know what I'm doing next? That's right: NOTHING. I'll try again later if I get weird transmission noises or whatever. THANKS THOUGH!!!

ps I know why mechanics charge what they do. Cause they can do stuff mortals can't.