Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightweight rear calipers
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/4/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lightweight rear calipers

I'm building some new lightweight rear uprights and want to replace the usual Sierra handbrake calipers with something a little more 'Racey' they don't need to be handbrake calipers as I will be keeping them with my old uprights as complete units in case I want to refit a handbrake set-up.

Has anyone used the Willwood Dynalite S 2 pot billet calipers (£80 From RD) on a Seven? Has anyone used any other lightweight rear calipers that they can recomend?

The car is BEC with full bias bar set-up Willwood 4 pot front calipers, weighs <500kg and will be used for track and race only.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rdodger

posted on 17/4/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Which Wilwood calipers are on the front, what piston size?

I think I might go for Powerlite with the smallest pistons. There is a much greater pad choice with those.

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Remember bike engine moves cg to rear.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

progers

posted on 18/4/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that a RGB car has the requirement to have a working handbrake - its part of regs.

I use the Wilwood Powerlite handbrake calipers, they don't work that well (as a handbrake) but are fine for braking requirements :-)

Cheers

- Paul

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/4/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
Don't forget that a RGB car has the requirement to have a working handbrake - its part of regs.

I use the Wilwood Powerlite handbrake calipers, they don't work that well (as a handbrake) but are fine for braking requirements :-)

Cheers

- Paul

I will still have the current RGB spec uprights with Handbrake calipers if I want to use them but I dont think I'm going to bother with RGB anyway, its essentially a rear engine aero series now so racing a Seven in it would be a bit pointless nowadays.

I am running the 'standard' front Powerlite set-up for the Cortina upright from Rally Design with the 265mm solid discs, not actually sure on the piston size but yes running them on the back as well with the smallest pistons may be an idea.

Wondering if anyone has used a set of these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=8310

Or these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=8304

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cps13

posted on 18/4/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know its not quit ewhat your after but i have a second hand, unused, one of these. Only took it out the packaging. Never fitted.

Would do for £90 posted if your interested.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/4/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
What caliper do you have? Do you have a link so I can look it up please?

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

cps13

posted on 18/4/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I meant to put it on the original reply! Doh!

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11370

SausageArm

posted on 18/4/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Wilwood Powerlight calipers front and rear, they've got handbrake function on the rears, the rear calipers weigh 1kg each.

Here are some photos

Calipers

Fitting kit and discs

Brackets fitted to upright

Disc and caliper fitted

My handbrake works quite well, although it's a bit hit'n'miss according to other reviews of these calipers.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/4/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
For my lightweight rear end I think I'm going to ditch the handbrake as it fails question 1 in my signature.... Do I really need it? No

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

thurso

posted on 15/8/14 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood on Sierra rears

did you have to turn down the rear hubs to get discs to fit?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.