Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suspension movement how much ?
bart

posted on 20/11/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
suspension movement how much ?

hi all
I would like to know the typical front suspension movement as measured at say the end of the spindle
I have 125 mm of ground clearance and can move the front suspension past that so
how much bump and extension do you run total including bump stops

Angel Acevedo

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension travel will be determined by Shock Travel times Instalation ratio.
In the front I will have 5" (125 mm approx) Shock travel with 1.1 Installation Ratio, which will give about 5.5 Inches at the wheel.
And the same 5" travel at the rear with a 1:1 Ratio. for 5" Travel.
I haven´t thought aboout bump stops until a thread a few days ago. I´m still not concerned as I´m very far from the rolling chassis stage, but eventually will need them

If you don´t mind using sacrificial Chassis Wear pads, you may use these as bump stops.
I don´t know how wise/dumb is to do so, but Formula 1 cars used to have these and they were spectacular as sparks showered when the cars bottomed out on rough tracks.
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but running out of ground clearance even with sliders is not a pleasant experience

bear in mind one of the most likely times you'll really take the car down to its lowest is during heavy breaking, not good if your breaking cos you just spotted a speed bump!

If its a road car I'd not let it get less than 4 inches from the ground on full compression. It might not look as cool but neither does a dented floor or smashed sump

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 20/11/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking 2-2.5" before bumpstops kick in, so 1-1.2" droop.
thats with 4" ground clearance :p

3" at 5" clearance should be fine, you shouldn't be braking that hard hitting a speedbump!

Sam_68

posted on 21/11/14 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 43655

3" at 5" clearance should be fine, you shouldn't be braking that hard hitting a speedbump!

Yeah, I think Mr Whippy's being a bit conservative - I've run road cars with 3" clearance under the sump and 4" chassis clearance at standard ride height, never mind full compression, and not had any real problems.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/11/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by 43655

Yeah, I think Mr Whippy's being a bit conservative - I've run road cars with 3" clearance under the sump and 4" chassis clearance at standard ride height, never mind full compression, and not had any real problems.

don't know, I ended up with a hole in the sump with 3" clearance and that wasn't from hitting a speed bump, welded a 6mm plate to the bottom of the pinto's sump

[Edited on 21/11/14 by Mr Whippy]

posted on 21/11/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, but I also managed to crack the sump on my old Skoda Octavia.
Standard height, standard suspension and all
Guess height isn't the only consideration?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.