Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corner Weighing - the wrong way!!
Uphill Racer

posted on 1/4/15 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
A few years ago I used four Salter digital scales to do corner weights on my Megapin. I modified them to read up and down instead of just giving a set readout, saves the hassle of rolling on and off all the time.
If I remember correctly it was just a case of soldering a link onto the PCB.

DougMilliken

posted on 14/4/15 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidimurrayNow I know the proper way is to get some proper scales, but there is no way I can afford some.

Why not check the wedge? This is a standard quick check done by oval (short track) racers. I grew up with road racing so the first time I saw this it was a surprise.

Background -- when cars are built for turning left-only, the setup is asymmetric, all four wheel weights are normally very different and the left side total is higher than the right (percentage is often regulated). The spring rates on all four corners are also different. Short track cars (dirt or hard-surface) have solid rear axles, not independent rear suspension.

Probably a hundred years ago(??), some clever person noticed that if they jacked the rear axle in the center that one rear wheel would come off the ground first. Here is a simple procedure from a Street Stock forum (low cost, entry level oval racing in N. America),
http://www.mstrc.com/index.php?showtopic=5646
Read down the thread for various different approaches. There are a couple of important comments:

>> While it is nowhere near as accurate as scaling a car, it is certainly much better than not knowing ANYTHING at all about the crossweight.

>> We use this method as a guide line for when we get to the track. We set the car up on scales, and as soon as we are done on the scales, jack it up to measure wedge the way described in this thread. That way, if we need to make a change at the track, we at least have a starting/reference point.

There are many other links from Googling "checking wedge racecar" or "checking wedge race car".

What does this measure? I'll let you think about that!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.