Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: clunking noise
generaldogsbody

posted on 2/4/15 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
clunking noise

Hello everyone i am new to this forum,i am on a low budget so i hope someone can help.I bought a mk2 1990 sierra p100,with the intention of doing it up a bit.When i brake it pulls to the right,i thought it might be a brake caliper sticking.I found out when i was stuck in traffic,if i move off slowly and touch the brake pedal there is a clunk from the n/s front wheel,I put it in reverse and moved off slowly touched the brake pedal,it did the same clunk from the n/s front wheel.It would help if i knew what to look for when i jack it up,Does any one know what to look for.All advice welcome.Thanks in advance.
bi22le

posted on 2/4/15 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does it only clunk once at a time or with every wheel resolution or pedal push?

Look for something loose!

Give everything a good push pull on that corner and user a crow bar to check the bushes.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

generaldogsbody

posted on 2/4/15 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
it clunks every time i touch the brake,and seems to shove the steering to the right.ps good ring story.
mark chandler

posted on 2/4/15 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Remove wheel, look at he brake pads, pulling to the right o/s could be worn out pads on the left n/s.

Are there rusty filings on the wheels, another sign of shagged pads, check the discs, if badly scored they need replacing.

Given that for £100 you can replace most pads and discs these days if in doubt chuck the old stuff away, get Mintex pads (1144) discs and feel the improvement, while apart work the caliper Pistons to make sure they move smoothly without binding.

If you do not understand this then find someone who does and get them to. show you what they are doing, you only get one chance with brakes usually.

19sac65

posted on 3/4/15 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know if the P100 is different to the saloon but they used to eat their compliance bushes
Its the bush on the bottom arm where the antiroll bar passes through
Get someone to drive the car at a snails pace,stabbing the brakes
Look at the front wheels side on , you'll see The faulty one moving backwards when they brake
They were cheap and easy to replace

rusty nuts

posted on 3/4/15 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for compliance bushed, if they have failed try to get a set of updated bushes from a motor factor , the Ford bushes were rubbish even when new
generaldogsbody

posted on 3/4/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that sounds about right,am on it.Thanks for your replys.
adithorp

posted on 3/4/15 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right. Fitted thousands back in the day.

We found (because some customers wanted things to feel a bit stiffer) that flattening (a bit) the big washers each side of the bushes, made a huge difference to the feel and longevity of the bushes. We used to just squish the dishing by about 50% in the vice. Do it bit by bit, rotating the washer as you go to keep it symmetrical.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

generaldogsbody

posted on 3/4/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
What i ment to say was,the information you gave me sounds good.Just glad it's not gonna cost a fortune to put right,and thanks again for all replies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.