Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake hose vs pipe
rodgling

posted on 14/4/15 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
brake hose vs pipe

I'm currently over-hauling my brakes with the aim of improving pedal feel. Currently my car uses braided hose throughout, would I notice any improvement by switching to metal pipe?

I realise this is unlikely to be the main source of my soft pedal but while I've got everything in bits now it might be a good time to do it?

As a first step I will block off all the hoses at the calipers, bleed, and see what the pedal feels like to test the existing braided hose.

britishtrident

posted on 14/4/15 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
You will only feel a tiny difference, one thing to check is that your pedal box is sufficiently stiff.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 14/4/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would only want flexible hoses where they are needed for suspension movement.
Not just from a feel point of view, but from the ability to check the condition of the hoses from year to year.

Mistral Motorsport

rodgling

posted on 14/4/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Will test the hoses I've got then and see how it goes. I see what you mean about being able to check condition, but if they are not impacting feel I will leave them be for now.

Pedal box looks mega stiff, I seriously doubt I could flex it even with 5-1 leverage or more. It's thick steel bolted to a steel bulkhead.

[Edited on 14/4/15 by rodgling]

russbost

posted on 14/4/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
You will not get any improvement with metal hoses over braided hose unless the braided hoses are damaged. In both cases there is no significant distortion of the outer "case" which is enclosing the brake fluid - neither will allow any expansion

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 14/4/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth reviewing your brake pad compound? On my tintops the pad type made more difference to 'feel' than anything related to the pipes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.