Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Slicks & Rims for Westfield on track?
baslow

posted on 24/6/15 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Good feedback guys.

I think i'm just going to go with what i have currently and see what the day brings and then spend loads of money from there! General consensus is that 048's will be plenty grippy enough although more expensive to replace.

So my main concern is now the baffle / overfill and accusump. I understand what the accusump / overfill does but what about the baffle? should i get all three and what sort of cost do you think i should be looking at?

Again a newbie to this so would't feel confident of fitting this myself... Any idea of rough labour costs?

cheers

bigfoot4616

posted on 24/6/15 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
not heard of many people using an accusump with a blade engine, most use a baffle plate and decent sump like you can get from andy bates http://www.abperformance.co.uk/products.aspx?cat=11&scat=32 with a 250ml overfill and have no issues.

its easy enough to fit yourself but isn't much of a job so shouldn't cost much even if you pay someone to do it, would expect an hours labour at most.

[Edited on 24/6/15 by bigfoot4616]

Jon Ison

posted on 24/6/15 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get the sump off with the engine fitted ?
bigfoot4616

posted on 24/6/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
should be able to, i could when i had a blade engine and can with the current R1. having said that if the bottom of the engine bay is paneled it would make more work.
mark chandler

posted on 24/6/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
you can pull the sump off mine in situ, I panelled around the sump.

My sump is the original cut down to the oil spill valve and plated over.

Acusump is easy to fit, the oil pressure sender sits in a big steel bung at the end of the oil gantry, just unscrew, drill out a 1/2" hole and carefully weld the female end of a 1/2" BSP hydraulic fitting then get a hose made up to mate with the 1/2" BSP fitting on the accusump.

I know it's working buzzing around as it gets very hot so must be replacing oil on hard bends.

Car is Rose jointed, I have had a couple of little fracture cracks apperaring around the bone mounting brackets so have welded up and braced, you just need to keep on top of things, it may have done this with ordinary tyres and rubber bushes....

[Edited on 24/6/15 by mark chandler]

baslow

posted on 24/6/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i've had it on jacks tonight trying to program Digi gear indicator whcih just will not work! (have another post on this)

i checked it out though and as Marks says it is panelled around the sump so i have full access. it also looks like there is more than enough space as the engine is raised around 60mm. So, am i right in saying once the sump is off the baffle sits inside this? Or does it replace it? Is there anyway to tell is one has already been fitted without taking the sump off?

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/6/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
on my old 919 blade motor(not sure which yours is and not sure if later ones are the same) the baffle plate was sandwiched between the sump and bottom of the casing with a gasket both sides of the baffle. if you knew what you where looking at you could tell it was there with the sump attached.

the R1 i have now is different as in the baffle sits inside completely.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/6/15 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend getting one of AB performances billet sumps. I run slicks and aero and have never had any oil problems on track days or competitive sprints.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.