Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Correct Flare?
adamswifty

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Correct Flare?

Hello,

I'm in the process of changing the master cylinder to a fiat one. I bought a draper flare kit, which iv'e got reasonable results with. The question is.... is the single flare in the image ok for male unions or do I need a double/bubble/other flare?

Description
Description

adithorp

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The picture appears to be a double (concave) flare. Probably not right but would need to seen the hole in the master.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

adamswifty

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I just put the pipe into the clamp bar, then just used the v shape flare tool to flare. The instructions refer to it as a single flare, though when looking online I cannot see many references to this type.
rash12

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
looks wrong way round to me

[Edited on 14/8/15 by rash12]

theconrodkid

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
what rash said ^^^...have a look down the port in the master,it will be the oposite of what you put on the pipe

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

adamswifty

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, its definitely not that type, its essentially just a tapered v, looks like I'll need to change.
rash12

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote

craig1410

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Note that a double flare is not formed purely using the V shaped tool, you need to form a convex single flare using the former first then use the V shaped tool to fold it in on itself. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fmF9mm3hsM

I realise this may not be what you need for your master cylinder but a lot of DIY'ers are not aware how the double flare is formed.

adamswifty

posted on 14/8/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
What has thrown me (apart from a lack of experience!) is the draper manual referred to it as a single. I can find another link to that type (image 4), though as highlighted this isn't the correct type for the master cylinder.
Description
Description

[Edited on 14/8/15 by adamswifty]

[Edited on 14/8/15 by adamswifty]

nickm

posted on 14/8/15 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
A male is shaped like a knob end when you make a female you should always make a male knob end first and then convert the knob end to female.
If you get a few inches of copper pipe and join them with connectors you will end up doing one male knob end with one half and with the other a male knob end which is then flared again with the female attachment.
You should never just do a single female flare as you will end up with very thin "lips" which when you tighten the joint they can break off and leak.
I always wrap the joints when first done with a scrap of material and check later that they are dry to prove the joint.
With the connectors the male goes into the female and the male has a male end and the female a female.
Hope this helps

Nick M

adamswifty

posted on 14/8/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nick, will re-flare
40inches

posted on 14/8/15 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickm
Hi
A male is shaped like a knob end when you make a female you should always make a male knob end first and then convert the knob end to female.
If you get a few inches of copper pipe and join them with connectors you will end up doing one male knob end with one half and with the other a male knob end which is then flared again with the female attachment.
You should never just do a single female flare as you will end up with very thin "lips" which when you tighten the joint they can break off and leak.
I always wrap the joints when first done with a scrap of material and check later that they are dry to prove the joint.
With the connectors the male goes into the female and the male has a male end and the female a female.
Hope this helps

Nick M

Wot he said.

russbost

posted on 15/8/15 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
You should never use the "V" shaped tool to make a flare without first putting a single flare on the pipe, I'm surprised it hasn't split around the edge!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.