Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Brakes.
AlexXtreme

posted on 27/8/15 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Brakes.

Hi All,
I have Sierra brakes on my car with rear drums. no idea what the original car was except it was a 2.0 pinto (possibly late '70's). In general I am not happy with the feel I am getting (it's very wooden) and I am getting early lock up on one front wheel. The backs have been re-built by me. The actual load to brake is OK so the overall set up is fine.
Are the front discs a std size (ie dia and thk)? Or do I need to take the wheels off and measure?
Any suggestions on pad material that would give me better feel? I heard that Mintex 1155 could be a good option as I am working on the assumptions that this is the issue. The callipers are not seized I think as both turn reasonably easily with little friction
I'm driving 95% on road although I could give the car a run on the track next year (when I am more confident that it won't let me down!)
Thanks
Alex

SJ

posted on 27/8/15 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue, as have many others. Assuming you have the standard 22mm Sierra master cylinder which is designed to be used with a servo, then the best fix is to change this.

I went for a 19mm Fiat 124 cylinder cos it was cheap. Others have used a Fiesta non servo mc which I think fits straight on [I would have gone for this if I'd known about it].

The only other mod I have is EBC yellowstuff pads, and I'm very happy with the brakes.

One wheel locking could either be a caliper problem or corner weights being out.

Stu

AlexXtreme

posted on 27/8/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stu,

As far as I know I have the non-servo Fiesta MC but will check.

Will also check the callipers, it has just passed the MOT though.

Alex

Dingz

posted on 27/8/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
The side that doesn't lock is the one you need to look at, check the sliders are ok and working well, they can get slightly bent.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

SJ

posted on 27/8/15 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
It shouldn't pass the mot if brake balance is out so might be worth checking the corner weights. I did mine with some cheap bathroom scales.

Definitely worth checking the MC. Mine was very wooden with the Sierra MC but much softer with the 19mm Fiat MC.

AlexXtreme

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions... replaced the MC last year due to a leak so dont want to really replace again! So will sort look at the callipers / braking first.
How do you adjust the weight balance if it is out?
Alex

SJ

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Corner weighting is simply adjusted by moving the spring platform up or down on your shocks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.