Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Enough sag?
Nickp

posted on 23/10/15 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Enough sag?

I've been cutting the holes in my side panels for the suspension etc to poke through and trial fitted the suspension to check clearance. I was a bit surprised to only have a very slight amount of downward tilt of the bottom wishbone when the shock is fully extended. It's only about 3deg, does this sound OK? The shocks are the recommended length for a Haynes at 13" open IIRC.
Stot

posted on 23/10/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
if you have 13" open shocks you need a 1" extension as the original book got it wrong.

Book Updates Link

quote:

10. Damper lengths In the book we suggest 13in open, 9in closed damper s. Doing a little work on the suspension geometry, I’ve discovered that a one-inch extension on the top of the dampers would allow more “droop” movement, without affecting the “bump” . This will give better performance on bumpy surfaces (read every road in Britain!). The dampers would still be 13in open, 9in closed, b ut with a one-inch solid extension fitted to the top. Both Dampertech and Protech produce this t ype of damper.

Many people just buy 14"open 1.9" shocks, Thats what I have at the front of mine and they fit fine.

If you got them from Rally Design they are pretty good if you want to exchange them.

Cheers
Stot

Nickp

posted on 23/10/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stot
if you have 13" open shocks you need a 1" extension as the original book got it wrong.

Book Updates Link

quote:

10. Damper lengths In the book we suggest 13in open, 9in closed damper s. Doing a little work on the suspension geometry, I’ve discovered that a one-inch extension on the top of the dampers would allow more “droop” movement, without affecting the “bump” . This will give better performance on bumpy surfaces (read every road in Britain!). The dampers would still be 13in open, 9in closed, b ut with a one-inch solid extension fitted to the top. Both Dampertech and Protech produce this t ype of damper.

Many people just buy 14"open 1.9" shocks, Thats what I have at the front of mine and they fit fine.

If you got them from Rally Design they are pretty good if you want to exchange them.

Cheers
Stot

Well that's a bit of a bugger!! When I got the 'car' (boxes of bits and a chassis) the AVO shocks that came with it were 12" and 14" open. So I sent them to AVO, they serviced them and 'corrected' the lengths both to 13". I've just checked and all the shocks only have 3.5" of travel and then have a 1" bumpstop fitted making that more like 2.5" of travel!! So I've just made up a 14" one by swapping the tops. Now I have about 10deg of sag/droop but only about 5deg of bump before it hits the bumpstop Is a 1" bumpstop normal or total overkill?
Am I flogging a dead horse with these AVOs and their 3.5" of travel or can they be made to work?

Update- With the bumpstop removed completely I now have a 10deg swing up and down which looks a lot more like it. So do I need bumpstops at all? Or just trim them down to the bare minimum?

[Edited on 23/10/15 by Nickp]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.