Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension Bushes
beaver34

posted on 9/11/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension Bushes

my suspension creaks on my car, regardless of greasing the bushes, ive checked they are free moving and no binding of the crush tubes.

can i just be old bushes with little give in them causing this? they are from 2004 and the car has been stored outside for some time

if so where do people get new ones from rally design or the likes, any recommendations

steve m

posted on 10/11/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Are the bushes the old triumph rubber with a metal insert ?
if so, they may need changing, and if so, go for the poly top hat design, as they are so much better, reduce any slop,
and allow free movement

This is what used and can not praise the transformation enough

Triumph Spitfire Front & Rear Bushes in Poly - FloFlex

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 10/11/15 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
i had exactly this problem with my old MK. The way to fix it is grease the nylon into the wishbone and grease the cash tube into the nylon - basically everything needs to be greased.
There's a lad on here who owns a grease company who I bought some "special" grease from to do the job. He recommended something that wouldn't get washed away by road water.
It took forever to do but the car was so smooth when I did it - I can't recommend doing it enough.

beaver34

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
i had exactly this problem with my old MK. The way to fix it is grease the nylon into the wishbone and grease the cash tube into the nylon - basically everything needs to be greased.
There's a lad on here who owns a grease company who I bought some "special" grease from to do the job. He recommended something that wouldn't get washed away by road water.
It took forever to do but the car was so smooth when I did it - I can't recommend doing it enough.

right ok makes sense, the whole car creaks when you get in it, was it that kind of noise?

cliftyhanger

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
As above, do not use the new rubber bushes, they are hopeless. I have taken 50 year old bushes off Triumphs that are better than 3 month old replacements.

Polybush and superflex are about the best. And I believe you should use a silicone grease on any polybush, not normal greases.

Another issue may be (with rubber bushes) is that they should be fully tightened only once on teh ground in teh running position, so they are not under tension before you start. 11 years though, so probably not applicable now.

SJ

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mine creak as well. I thoroughly lubed them with silicon grease when I put them together, but they still creaked and now use chain lube on them from time to time to keep them quiet. I plan to strip them and do them again at some point soon to check them.
rusty nuts

posted on 10/11/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
How did you check the crush tubes for binding?
beaver34

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
How did you check the crush tubes for binding?

fitted it all with out the shock and made sure they wish bones moved freely, some of them didnt so i had to sort those ones

whats the best way to get them right?

rusty nuts

posted on 11/11/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I found the easiest way was to assemble the bushes and crush tubes then nip the crush tube in a vice and making sure the wishbone would rotate under its own weight.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.