Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best tyres for a stylus
Shooter63

posted on 9/1/16 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Best tyres for a stylus

I'm going to be changing the wheels and tyres on my stylus to 13" rims and 185/60-13 tyres, the car will mainly be used on the road with 2-3 track days a year. What do you guys think will be the best tyres to go with?
At the moment I'm running the same size but in 14" shod with 888s,

Shooter

twybrow

posted on 9/1/16 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Are the r888 not meeting your needs? Too track focused?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/1/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r in 120 compound are very good .
Shooter63

posted on 9/1/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Are the r888 not meeting your needs? Too track focused?

I'm finding that the 888s this time of year are a bit pony, I know they are summer tyres etc but the wet weather performance is iffy to say the least, plus the price of them seems to go up and up. I've noticed on other forums people are trying nankang/ federal/dmack and was hoping guys with experience of these would be able to give me a heads up on a replacement.
As stated the car is used mainly on the road, so a slight drop in grip in the dry with better cold/wet grip wouldn't be overly sad.

Shooter

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/1/16 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I run nankang ns2r for road and track in 120 compound and I'm very impressed with them dry grips excellent they warm up nicely after about a lap or two on track and there a good price , wet grips better than the yoko 32s I have had in the past there wearing pretty well my striker weighs 560kg so it's pretty light for a car engined car .
Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at an alternative to R888 and the nankang NS 2R have had some good reviews

I've been doing a search and they seem to come with XL "extra load" ratings is that an issue with a 500kg car also can you run them at low pressures

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I run nankangs xl load at 16-18 psi with no problems for a road /track tyre there very good and not to bad in the wet .
obfripper

posted on 11/3/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the 180 compound ns-2r's, they're not bad for the money.
Not as much outright grip as r888/a048r, fairly similar to a021r in the dry but don't overheat when pushed.
The sidewalls are pretty solid, however it doesn't seem to make the ride too much different at 16F-18R psi.
They haven't lasted as well as initially expected, the first 1500 miles didn't seem to make much impact on tread depth, 1500 miles further on and they're on the wear markers, but at 45 quid a corner it's good value.
I haven't had enough wet running to give an accurate opinion, but they seemed to be reasonable for a harder compound, not as squirrely as r888 but not as good as a021r.

120 compound 54 quid
Mytyres.co.uk has been 45 quid for the 180 compound, but are now back to 60 quid a corner, their prices seem to change like the weather.

Dave

Johneturbo

posted on 12/3/16 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Great stuff guys, I'd seen the 120 compound for about £55 so will give them a try. I've only ever driven the car on 888 so will be nice to try something different and save a few £

[Edited on 12/3/16 by Johneturbo]

velocitykendal

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote here for the Nankang NS-2R, excellent dry grip and surprisingly good in the wet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.