Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife quick rack sierra
Niels

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife quick rack sierra

Hi all!

It has been a while that I've worked at the MK, but started off again last week. Currently I have an issue with the fitment of the Quaife quick rack in the Sierra housing. The size of the pinions' are not equal resulting in a fit that is to tight as it seems that the bearing is pressing on the Quaife pinion when tightening the locknut.

Does anyone now what the issue might be? Is the housing I have not from a Sierra, or is the pinion just not the right one?

Measurements are in metric mm. (Oud=Old and Nieuw= New)

This is the rack and pinion from Quaife:
https://shop.quaife.co.uk/ford-sierra-lhd-quaife-quick-rack-pinion-kit-2-8

Regards,
Niels

nick205

posted on 20/4/16 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've not bought the part from Quaife or rebuilt a Sierra rack. However looking at your photos the parts look so different to each other I can't see how the pinion would interface with the rack rod itself - the cog parts look too different.

I would have thought you had to fit a Quaife pinion and rack rod to change the gearing and speed up the steering. Others who have made the change may have more information, but things don't look right to my eyes.

Niels

posted on 20/4/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I've not bought the part from Quaife or rebuilt a Sierra rack. However looking at your photos the parts look so different to each other I can't see how the pinion would interface with the rack rod itself - the cog parts look too different.

I would have thought you had to fit a Quaife pinion and rack rod to change the gearing and speed up the steering. Others who have made the change may have more information, but things don't look right to my eyes.

The new pinion is able to interface with the rack as long as the pinion isn't fixed in the casing. I guess there are two options:

1) The old rack+casing I have is not from a Sierra. (Bought it a few years ago from a builder as well)
2) The new pinion is not the correct one to fit the Sierra casing.

Grimsdale

posted on 21/4/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
is the quaife part right hand drive only?

I assume you sourced a new rack for the housing from quaife?

Have you slackened off the Hex socket adjuster on the rack housing by the pinion, and re-adjusted on reassembly? is the plastic bush inside correctly located?

Your rack looks like a sierra non-pas one. Is the quaife part for a PAS rack?

[Edited on 21/4/16 by Grimsdale]

Niels

posted on 22/4/16 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
is the quaife part right hand drive only?

I assume you sourced a new rack for the housing from quaife?

Have you slackened off the Hex socket adjuster on the rack housing by the pinion, and re-adjusted on reassembly? is the plastic bush inside correctly located?

Your rack looks like a sierra non-pas one. Is the quaife part for a PAS rack?

[Edited on 21/4/16 by Grimsdale]

The parts are for LHD, I've checked them.
The rack is indeed a non-pas one, though if I remember correctly the PAS rack is already ca. 2.8 lock-to-lock (Not 100% sure though)

Niels

posted on 25/5/16 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Small update and a question. Worked on the rack again and discovered the gear adjuster might be the problem as it seems worn down completely. So now looking for a new one and the corresponding plug. Does someone know if these are available somewhere? I think this are the oem numbers: 613519 and 1619198.
Schrodinger

posted on 26/5/16 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just looked at your pictures again and it seems to me that the worm gears twist in opposite directions, so could mean one is lhd and the other rhd?

Keith
Aviemore

Niels

posted on 26/5/16 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Just looked at your pictures again and it seems to me that the worm gears twist in opposite directions, so could mean one is lhd and the other rhd?

That is indeed the case, though the rack is the opposite direction from the original as well. I was worried about it as well but after checking it is the correct LHD rack. Thanks for pointing it out anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.