Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remote brake fluid reservoir
nobrakes

posted on 27/5/16 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Remote brake fluid reservoir

Hi all, this is my first post - I tried the new members section but it doesn't seem to work.
Anyway, I'm changing my worn out 4 speed manual (from a 1972 Rover p6) for an LT77 but because its a few inches longer I need a smaller brake servo - it sits about level with the gearbox propshaft flange, hard up against the chassis at the side, back and top.
I've bought a dual circuit servo from a Micra, nice 'n' small at about 199mm diameter so it'll just about fit (a little over ¼" clearance by the gearbox) but the fluid reservoir is in the way - any reason why I can't use a couple of remote reservoirs instead of the combined one on the cylinder?
I was thinking about motorcycle ones, specially since I just happen to have 2 from an 1100 Honda Goldwing in my stack of bits that might come in useful one day.

gremlin1234

posted on 27/5/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
noting wrong with remote reservoirs, but they will both need fluid level switches.
also quarter inch is a bit close to a gearbox, they move an alarming amount.

ps Welcome!

hizzi

posted on 27/5/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
pull the reservior off, source two tube inserts probably 10mm and push them into the cylinder top. extend the reservoir up to where you want it with oil/fuel hose. plug your fluid switch back in. theres a few pictures on here of how its done. garyt is one of them
nobrakes

posted on 27/5/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys - I'm already registered and Q plated so no need to worry about fluid level switches. The old servo, from a Ford (don't know which one though), was even closer! I would have agreed about the clearance except that there aren't any contact marks, I think as the gearbox moved it mostly rotated around the output shaft axis rather than going from side to side /up and down? Odd really, considering how much you can see the engine moving about when its running.
Extend the tubes - that sounds like a good idea, I'll have a search

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.